Page 16 of 64 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Ten frequently asked questions concerning cure of spinal cord injury

Paulo, i would not wait to get the anterior decompression. A 20% compression is not good for your spinal cord. Transplantations probably would not be done from the anterior direction anyway. They would not expose the spinal cord from the front. They would just remove the compression. Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    Paulo, i would not wait to get the anterior decompression. A 20% compression is not good for your spinal cord. Transplantations probably would not be done from the anterior direction anyway. They would not expose the spinal cord from the front. They would just remove the compression. Wise.
    thank's Wise do you know some of the best hospitals in Europa or Italy where can i have this procedure. You teach me that open the chest and an to have anterior decompression with unthetering of the cord is a dangerous surgery .

Paolo

Quote Originally Posted by flashfox
    thank's Wise do you know some of the best hospitals in Europa or Italy where can i have this procedure. You teach me that open the chest and an to have anterior decompression with unthetering of the cord is a dangerous surgery. Paolo
    Paulo, do you have anterior compression of your cord or are you referrring to the syrinx? Wise.

Paulo, do you have anterior compression of your cord or are you referrring to the syrinx? Wise.
    anterior compression 10/20% caused from a bone fragment of the vertebra slipped in ahead after the fracture with modification of the physiological curve

Paolo

Quote Originally Posted by flashfox
    anterior compression 10/20% caused from a bone fragment of the vertebra slipped in ahead after the fracture with modification of the physiological curve
    Paulo, I am not up on the latest surgeons in Italy. Let me try to find out for you. Wise.

Quote Wise: "The second generation therapies are beginning to be tested in clinical trials."

What are some examples of second generation therapies now being tested?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Paddon
    Quote Wise: "The second generation therapies are beginning to be tested in clinical trials."

What are some examples of second generation therapies now being tested?

Thanks
    They are just beginning to be applied.

Cethrin is an example of a second generation therapy of anti-Nogo therapies. It is going through phase 1 trial now. I am looking forward to IN-1, chondroitinase, and nogo receptor blockers being applied soon. I understand that Novartis has started recruiting patients (chronic) for their phase 1 IN-1 trial.

Over half a dozen different cell types have been transplanted to the spinal cord, e.g. fetal spinal cords (UF Gainesville), fetal porcine neural stem cells (Wash U & Albany), fetal OEG (Beijing), adult OEG (Brisbane), nasal mucosa (Lisbon), bone marrow stem cells (Sao Paulo, Zhengzhou), fetal neural stem cells (Moscow and Novosibirsk), and others. Activated macrophages (Proneuron) are now in Phase 2 in the United States.

Henreich Cheng has submitted a paper for publication concerning his five year experience placing peripheral nerve grafts and a growth factor cocktail on the spinal cord. I recently heard of a center in Tienjin (China) that has transplanted adult Schwann cells into 8 patients and they are finding improvements in patients. There is intense discussions right now of the phase 2 trials of cell transplants combined with growth factors.

Wise.

Wow, thanks Dr Young for keeping us up to date. I know that in the past you've referred to peripheral nerve grafts as a possible solution to return of bowel and bladder control. All of these trials are interesting but hopefully the paper on this will be published soon. Mike
    T12 Incomplete - Walking with Crutches, Injured in Oct 2003

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC
    Wow, thanks Dr Young for keeping us up to date. I know that in the past you've referred to peripheral nerve grafts as a possible solution to return of bowel and bladder control. All of these trials are interesting but hopefully the paper on this will be published soon. Mike
    Mike, peripheral nerve bridging has been done in Europe and the China for many years. Zhang Shao-Chen in Shanghai, for example, has been doing bridging from spinal roots above the injury site to the bladder for over a decade and he believes that works. To my knowledge, this is not being practiced in the United States yet.

It is important to understand, however, that peripheral nerve bridging (like tendon transfer) involves some loss of function above the injury site. A lot depends on the judgment of the surgeon and the question is whether the benefits for the bridging are worth the loss of that function and the risks of surgery. In some cases, I believe that the benefits are worth the loss of some function above the injury site and the risks of surgery are relatively low.

Wise.

To my knowledge, this is not being practiced in the United States yet.

A lot depends on the judgment of the surgeon and the question is whether the benefits for the bridging are worth the loss of that function and the risks of surgery.

Wise.
    Dr Young, I agree that I would only have such a procedure after close consulation with the surgeon who has a proven track record. Do you have any indication that someone in the US might start doing this type of procedure in the near future?

Mike
    T12 Incomplete - Walking with Crutches, Injured in Oct 2003