Page 13 of 64 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222363 ... LastLast

Thread: Ten frequently asked questions concerning cure of spinal cord injury

Chris2, yes, I agree. You need to beat that depression. I wish that I knew more about depression and can suggest something that would help. I am not sure that a cure of spinal cord injury is the answer to depression. I know a lot of people who don't have spinal cord injury and who are still desperately depressed. I met a young man by the name of Derrick in Hongyun Huang's ward and he had a thoracic spinal cord injury. He had a guitar on the bed next to him. Does playing the guitar help? I know that it helps me.

Wise.

the best thing for depression would be to be able to heal a spinal cord injury.. Cannot call it a cure, because that would be of the way we were before the injury so everybody says.. 90% of depression medication side effects are worse..I have been down that road, keep the medication, want to cure the Depression and let's get a realistic timeframe when we will be standing, 8 years post C-3 injury... And now that's depressing.. Tell me where to go I will be on the next airplane.. Keep saying two more years & still sitting on a chair.. Would love to hear it's going to happen but there's too much political garbage, FDA and their garbage.. So we have to deal with Depression no matter what.. Fix the spinal cord & then fixes Depression..

Dr. Young & Chris2,

I am not a depression expert, but my current academic curriculum deals with depression in its many forms. Never having experieced depression myself until about a year ago (I'm 2.5 years post) I was unable to relate to it until I experienced it.

I believe Chris2 could substantially get over his depression if the future of SCI therapies weren't so uncertain. Just a few months ago Chris2 was positive and optimistic when Dr. Young posted some estimated time lines to treatment. Initially they seemed like a revelation, but Chris2 later began to realize they may be to far away to benefit him, so depression set in.

I also agree with Keith about the potential side effects of anti-depressant meds, but in extreme cases, you have to make an appropriate decision.

Chris2, if you're not on an anti-depressant presently, sounds like you may need to consider getting on one. You have been SCI for over 20 years and that in itself is a powerful testiment to your fortitude.

I wish someone could accurately tell you on such and such a day, in the year something, your paralysis will be significantly reversed. The science just isn't there yet, so in the meantime, you have to do the best you can. If you're in a rural area, a pet can help a lot (cat, dog, etc.). Also, look for a good counselor, you may go through 3 or 4 before you find the right one for you. I have seen a good counselor literally pull people from the edge of an abyss.

"I believe that there will be effective therapies that will restore function to people with spinal cord injury, including touch and pain sensations, bladder and bowel function, erection and ejaculation, and motor control including long-distance walking"

and how long before this happens?

"will be available in 4 years"

could "long distance walking" happen this soon?

I am constantly seeking medical help for my depression but nothing helps - I thought I was doing fine until I got an infection 5 weeks ago, then lost belief in a cure....

[This message was edited by Chris2 on 12-12-04 at 10:00 PM.]

I fear that a depressed person would not be selected for a cure treatment

paraplegia is a major stress factor for me

I think if I'd never had the accident I would not have had depression as often and as badly

I am constantly seeking medical help for my depression but nothing helps - I thought I was doing fine until I got an infection 5 weeks ago, then lost belief in a cure....
    Are you on an anti-depressant?

What type of infection?

I think if I'd never had the accident I would not have had depression as often and as badly
    I agree completely. But, now that you know you are depressed, are any of the previous suggestions an option?

Schmeky

on efexor, olanzapine and imovane - seen different councillers - nothing works - just getting worse

infection in testicle

Chris2,

Sorry. I understand. Depression's been nibblin' on me to lately. Everyday's a struggle.

E-mail me.

Wise,
    Can I use some pieces of this, too?

Thx,
    Sue

"Either you decide to stay in the shallow end of the pool or you go out in the ocean." C. Reeve

sue, I am trying to squeeze a little time out to update all these topics. Most of them were written a while back and without a lot of edit/checking. In the next couple of days, I will be posting these updated versions on the main carecure.org web site. You can of course use them. Wise.