Originally posted by walkanotherday:

I have a few questions regarding your FAQ

When you say something will be available in 8 years do you mean available to the public or available for clinincal trials on humans?
• Available to the public, hopefully.

Is it true that the success rate of a treatment or surgery that can restore function or improve quality of life is inversely porportional to the patient's post-injury time? 1 year is better than 10 years? If that's the case, one would have to decide between waiting for a safer and better procedure in the future or taking advantage of the window of opportunity now, right?
• No, I don't believe that the success of treatments is proportional to the time after injury. This is not the case, for example, for Dr. Huang's patients, so far. One of the reasons why I have been advising people to be patient is because I think that a better therapy in two years is preferable to a not-as-good therapy today.

FES does not seem to work below injury (T-8 to t-10 lesion & 2 years post). When I use FES I don't see my muscles move. Does that mean it's not working? Why is that?
• It is true that FES does not work as well with lower thoracic injuries that may have damaged some of the gray matter (containing neurons) that innervate the muscles of the legs. That is because the spinal cord ends at vertebral level L1. A T8-10 injury may have damaged some of the upper lumbar spinal cord segments. However, you should still be able to stimulate the lower muscles of your legs. Are you taking any baclofen and do you have any spasticity in your legs?

Is 1 hour a day on the standing frame enought to prevent Osteoporosis?
There is some preliminary data suggesting that if standing is started early after injury, it may prevent osteoporosis. Apparently, according to some studies, standing an hour a day alone is not sufficient to reverse osteoporosis. On the other hand, standing an hour a day plus taking biphosphonates and/or parathyroid hormone may reverse osteoporosis.

Wise.

WAD[/QUOTE]