Thread: Why is a handcycle called a Slider?

Why is a handcycle called a Slider?

Or does the term slider apply to other 'non-traditional' cycles (e.g. recumbents) as well?

I was at a big event a few days ago (Bike the Bay 2012 in San Diego) with over 3000 riders, and I was the only handcyclist - more than one person referred to me/my handcycle as a slider, e.g., "Hey, we have a slider here...." The tones was very friendly; i.e., no resentment toward a someone who was different.

I know that the slang 'slider' typically refers to a greasy burger (old Navy slang), but with respect to handcycles??? Anyone know the significance, application or history of a 'slider' in this case?

You peeked my curiosity so I did some googling and found no specific answer, but maybe "slider" because of transferring - hand cyclists slide to mount???
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BRAND-NEW...item19d49ac98c

Referred to as a slider as I think the back (plastic) wheels slide out if you corner fast enough...(which you hopefully won't do on a handcycle!!)
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

maybe slider=trike then?
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Thanks Gordy - that makes sense.

Lin - that may be the case, so the term would apply to the recumbents as well.

My wife just commented the other day about people reaction to the handcycle. People generally like it. Kids often shout out "cool" or "I want one of those".

Her comment came after we just passed someone on a giant trike. An older adult. My wife said the handcycle is cooler than other three wheelers since it in some ways looks like a "Big Wheel"

Adaptive Sports Forums.com
    http://adaptivesportsforums.com
    Non-commercial adaptive sports user community

Quote Originally Posted by kleonin View Post
    Thanks Gordy - that makes sense.

Lin - that may be the case, so the term would apply to the recumbents as well.
    That does make sense!
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>