Cholesterol 164 mg/dl
    triglycerides 40 mg/dl
    hdl cholesterol 51 mg/dl
    ldl cholesterol 105 mg/dl
    chol/hdl chol ratio 3.2
    ldl/hdl ratio 2.1

Age 51, 160 lbs, no meds.
    My ldl is out of range (<100)

I'm on a statin with only marginal improvement. My diet is reasonably healthy, but is about to become even healthier. My proteins are typically chicken, turkey or fish. Beef is eaten only if I am at someone's house and it is served.

I'm losing weight and that feels good. To bump my diet into the even healthier zone I'm going to use more lentils and brown rice for protein, keep the fish and up intake slightly (salmon), ditch more of the chicken and turkey.

Getting older is not for wienies.

Jody, some people have what I call the F-U gene. Their liver produces cholesterol. Native Americans have the Alcoholic F-U gene; they lack the enzyme that enables Europeans to metabolize alcohol w/ glorious abandon. (Hence that whole "Firewater" thing.)

Useless info, as I don't know what can be done about the F-U gene. Going vegan and living on nothing but sprouts and sand might help...

Wise might know. He told me my Cherokee 1/8 is DNA identical to his Asian self...thereby eliminating my excuse for being hotheaded LOL. It's all on the Irish now!

Cholesterol 208mg/dl Desireable <200. (highest it's ever been)
    triglycerides 103 mg/dl (Range 40-150)
    hdl cholesterol 42 mg/dl (Range 35-100)
    ldl cholesterol 145 mg/dl (Desireable <130)
    chol/hdl chol ratio 5.0. (Normal Risk Ratio: 5.0 or Less)

Age 59, 180 lbs, no meds

pre accident (less then year ago) i always had wonderful cholesterol and BP but a couple weeks ago at a health fair i was amazed to find out i was in their words "on the low end of above normal" and BP was 203/101 (but it was a bad pain day) i thought i have been eating better/less since i rarely have an appetite like i used too...

My husband's cholesterol has slowly been rising over the last few years so I would say yes it is indirectly due to the SCI.
    His doc put him on a statin.... which caused his sugar to go way up and he had bunches of bowel accidents.
    Stopped the statin and everything is back to normal...his cholesterol is a little high but we are trying some natural supplements and dietary changes to reduce this number.

Quote Originally Posted by LaMemChose View Post
    I'm on a statin with only marginal improvement. My diet is reasonably healthy, but is about to become even healthier. My proteins are typically chicken, turkey or fish. Beef is eaten only if I am at someone's house and it is served.

I'm losing weight and that feels good. To bump my diet into the even healthier zone I'm going to use more lentils and brown rice for protein, keep the fish and up intake slightly (salmon), ditch more of the chicken and turkey.

Getting older is not for wienies.

We are changing diet too...you should try Quinoa...it is loaded with protein...I fix it with roasted veggies...delicious hot or cold.

The F-U gene, ....good one bethany. I already found one f-u gene (ehlers danlos) may as well make it a party. I got a one drink limit as well.

I take Vytorin, a statin, and it works wonders. However, there are some side effects such as a dry cough, which I have noticed. You also can't have grapefruit or grapefruit juice while on it...which is really too bad. I miss it. I wish I could control with diet but, heck, I'm from WI and there's cheese and butter everywhere I look.

142. I don't know how, but it is.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.