Thread: Shooting from compromised positions

Shooting from compromised positions

One of my previous defensive shooting instructors sent me this link of a para training to shoot from the ground.

Conducted at the Magpul Dynamics tactical/defensive shooting course.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. The recent incident in NYC in which trained police officers initiating contact with the knowledge that the suspect was armed wound up in a shootout where the police killed one bystander and wounded several others gives me cause for concern. It isn't unreasonable to suspect that a physically impaired shooter with less conflict experience might not perform as well under duress as those officers.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old View Post
    A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. The recent incident in NYC in which trained police officers initiating contact with the knowledge that the suspect was armed wound up in a shootout where the police killed one bystander and wounded several others gives me cause for concern. It isn't unreasonable to suspect that a physically impaired shooter with less conflict experience might not perform as well under duress as those officers.

Absolutely. One of several reasons I run at least 100rnds a week through my carry piece, and work with FBI certified trainers, very often, and have since long before my SCI!

If you have an active self-defensive instinct (meaning your life experiences to-date have demonstrated you are more inclined to 'fight' than 'flight', when directly confronted with crisis) it is imperative the skills be developed and maintained, with a seriousness and commitment commensurate with the value of life!

(Cops, by and large, train and qualify less than you might expect, frankly. Some departments have gone from quarterly to yearly, and have eliminated practice ammo from their budgets!)

It's up to the individuals to pay for and find time to practice. Some do, some do less.
    But, this isn't Politics.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

That's great, but none of the ranges around here would be too keen on someone laying on the ground shooting I don't think.

DaleB- good job on the training. You are correct on the upkeep of skill in the LEO world. It is hard for them to maintain the standards they would like to be at. I'm sure at high expense of time and money you are quite accomplished. I would crutch stand with you in a gun fight. As for practic in the prone position. I recommend to find local IDPA club at a range near you. Present your want to learn and I'm sure you will find some help or direction.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    (Cops, by and large, train and qualify less than you might expect, frankly. Some departments have gone from quarterly to yearly, and have eliminated practice ammo from their budgets!)
    Most cops only go to the range when they have to qualify. I've seen some horrendous groups by cops at the range. Even the few homeland security I've seen leaves much to be desired.