Thread: Abdominal binder/scoliosis woes

Abdominal binder/scoliosis woes

Ever since I have been injured (c-5-6) I have been getting worse and worse scoliosis. The binder may have made it worse (dale) as well as sleeping on my side. I need advice on a new binder, besides dale I tried a neoprene one with a shirt under it to prevent blisters. It was an improvement but I need something with enough support to keep my back straight, yet not ride up constantly causing my stomache to be pushed out of the bottom and not doing anything in the way of support or blood pressure. I ordered one from another thread on here with diagonal elastic and it was too large. While I am succumbing to the terrible "quad belly", I still have a fairly thin waist, 30" or so, it's hard to tell with my stomache bulging out. Does anyone have experience or resources to help with this problem. It's ridiculous to be using exercise binders for a medical condition. I don't want scoliosis because I'm ignorant on the subject.

Have you thought about putting on a lateral to help keep you straight. I use a Stealth lateral on one side and a sideguard on the other. It helps push the leaning side over whilke the sideguard keeps my hips from being pushed over.

Scolliosis is just part of being a higher injury. Gravity takes it's toll.

If you have been officially diagnosed with scoliosis you should seek professional medical advice on treating it with an appropriate binder than purchasing one online.

pbr

I haven't found a brace that helps. I'm now getting a chair back molded to sit me straighter, along with a harness.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

I tried one abdominal binder after another throughout the years with the same results my little round quad belly (ever expanding) always found a way too wiggle out of it as I moved around throughout the day.

The one and only thing that's kept it tucked away was when I got A custom molded back and a abdominal harness attached to it. .
    Which begs me to ask Alan, is your backrest mold from ride designs?
    Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. .(John Wayne)

I have used Camp - now Trulife corsets for 31 years. I remove the stays from the back so as not to cause pressure issues. I have no problems with these sliding up.

http://trulife.com/all-products/orth...tional-corsets

I also recommend the Stealth lateral supports. I'm a C3-4 complete quad a sit very upright, no sloutching.

I have used a Tru-life sacral-lumbar support since rehab 30 years ago. Over the years, I have been refitted by an orthotist, but always order the same style. With a diagnosis of scoliosis and a fitting by an orthotist, most insurance companies and Medicare will cover supports like this one (see picture below) and the ones "NWC4" posted. Most insurance companies and Medicare usually don't cover the all elastic/velcro binders that are available through drugstores.

All the best,
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboys_Place View Post
    I tried one abdominal binder after another throughout the years with the same results my little round quad belly (ever expanding) always found a way too wiggle out of it as I moved around throughout the day.

The one and only thing that's kept it tucked away was when I got A custom molded back and a abdominal harness attached to it. .
    Which begs me to ask Alan, is your backrest mold from ride designs?
    I believe it is. The cushion is, too. Don't have them yet.

The curves and balance/posture issues have been driving me even nuttier.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Get a deep contour custom backrest . It will have side supports. You can add foam as needed to push your rib cage either way. Do it asap before you get worse and contracted. Also do stretches every day.
    "The sweet is not as sweet without the bitter"
    ~"Vanilla Sky"~