Thread: otto bock cloud cushion

otto bock cloud cushion

Does anyone know anything about this cushion? Pros and cons? Besides its heavey as hell.

Never used the cushion but I have used some Otto Bock gel pads and I find them superior to Jay Gel, Otto Bock Gel is Floam and has a different viscosity then the Jay gel, hard to describe though.

I tried the cloud and its hard as heck. Long story i was wonder how they reduce pressure sore when they are so hard? I donno kinda seems like i might be stuck with the dam thing. Any help would be greatly apprishated.
    Last edited by randomryan007; 08-28-2012 at 11:24 PM.

I bought one and used it for a little while and I’m not able to use the term Cloud or ComforT to describe this cushion without the use of “air quotes”, a sarcastic tone, or moving to Opposite Land . It's the hardest cushion I've ever sat on and I was sweating from the literal pain-in-the-ass after sitting on it for about 15 minutes. It now sits in a box in my basement.

I have one. Like it/hate it. Mine seems soft, must do the trick as I have had no skin issues but I HATE the front end being soft, hand sinks on tranfers. I have a Jay2 also and like it more than the OB because the front is hard and I can lift for transfers a lot easier.. I also like the gel more on J2.

World's best cushion.

Quote Originally Posted by randomryan007 View Post
    Does anyone know anything about this cushion? Pros and cons? Besides its heavey as hell.
    If you are sitting on an Otto Bock Cloud cushion with Floam you are sitting on one of the most advanced jell cushions on the market. I've had Jay cushions which ruptured, Invacare/Action cushion that also ruptured and bottomed out but the Otto Bock cushion far exceeds those cushions. An Otto Bock cushion will not bottom out because of the 16 jell cells you sit on.

I have been sitting on an Otto Bock Cloud with Floam for almost 20 years now and I can tell you I never had a pressure sore on my rear. It takes about a week or two for your pelvic bone to contour the cushion.

One thing you don't want is a cheap cushion. Buy the best cushion your money can buy and the Otto Bock Cloud with Floam is a great cushion!

Ask yourself, "You want a pressure sore that will take months to heal with a cheap light weight cushion?" or "Do you want a cushion to protect your rear from a pressure sore and be active in life?"

Yes the Otto Bock is a heavy cushion so is the Jay cushion and Invacare/Action cushion too. You have to weigh the pros and cons.

One con on all cushions are replacing the cushion covers. They are very expensive no matter where you look. They range about $40-$100. What I do is take an old cover to a upholstery shop and show them this is what I need. I used thick black 100% cotton and buy them by the dozen where they are much inexpensive and last much longer and easy to clean. If I had one cushion made it would cost me about $60 in material and labor. If I have 10-12 made at once I can reduce that price down to about $20-$24 per cover.

Over the 20 years I've had only once jell cell rupture which I had an extra jell cell to quickly replace it.

One last note here, this cushion is not for people who needs specialized seating cushion but if you look at Otto Bock web site they do make specialized cushions for people who need them.

I give the Otto Bock Cloud with Floam a five golden star rating. Excellent cushion!

Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Hi! I write from Spain. I ordered a Cloud cushion from my orthopaedics shop two days ago.

I was several months reviewing cushions from internet, and finally I was decided for a high profile Roho. But from my orthopaedics shop recommended me the Cloud. Later I have read comments in this forum and it seems as a hard cushion which doesn't help to prevent sores. Is it true? Only titanium4motion (greetings, because I read all your posts) recommend this cushion?

Regards and thanks.