Thread: inflatable boats/canoes

inflatable boats/canoes

i've been getting interested in these lately and wondering if i could successfully use one. does anyone have experience with them??? i don't have a way to haul a canoe or boat, so i am thinking that an inflatable one might work. also, i am looking for something i could do independently. if i could transfer into the boat after inflating it, i would have to leave my wheelchair sit there on the shore. i guess that would be ok in relatively isolated areas. any thoughts on this?

How are you planning to propel it? Kayak paddle? Oars? Canoe paddle? How is your trunk stability and balance? A "rubber ducky" type kayak would probably work, as long as you get one with a rigid backrest...the inflatable ones are pretty floppy.

Recommend you not paddle in isolated areas by yourself, and that you wear a PFD when paddling, regardless of what type of boat you get.

Be sure to get a powered inflation device. A foot pedaled one (which usually come with these) will of course not be of much use. Get a good quality patch kit too.

(KLD)

My husband and I love our inflatable kayak. Its shaped & sized more like a small canoe. We took it to Hawaii and with his help I got in and out of the water to snorkel! Ours has 2 adjustable backs that are pretty supportive. You could use a single paddle that has a paddle at each end to be able to row yourself. I don't think I could get in and out by myself but you may have more ability than me. Being inflatable, its easier on the body than a hard sided one when you get in and out.

thank you for the replies. i certainly appreciate it. I definitely plan on wearing a PFD, and thought that a double sided paddle would work. i have a t3 level injury, so balance is somewhat of a concern, but i usually do pretty well. my upper body is strong and i can transfer well. it will mostly depend on how high the canoe/seat sits when inflated. i'm hoping i won't have to transfer down that much.