Thread: New Member

Hello to everyone,

I live in Tucson, AZ, and I am a incomplete parplegic. The level of injury is at L5/S1, so I suffer from Cauda Equina Syndrome, (nerve damage), and neurogenic bowel, and bladder (double incontinent).

I have several pain issues in my lower back mostly due to muscle spasms and occasional pain in certain areas of my left leg and foot. With the exception of my spine, all of the effected areas of my injuries are on my left side.

My healthcare has provided by the Souther Arizona VA Health Care System (Tucson VA Hospital & SCI Clinic). I've been going to the SCI Center in San Diego for an eval which means a hospital stay for about a week on each visit. This is a very painful trip for me to make so I'm not sure that I will make the trip this year since there is very little they (SCI Center) can do for me anyway. The travel time produces a lot of pain with little reward.

The good news is I'm mobile, but the bad news is I have a lot of pain which causes me to move around a less. On my worse days it hurts so much I can't get out of bed. Being an incomplete parapelic is very painful even though I'm mobile and don't use a wheelchair.

TucAZVern,

NL (my wife and caregiver) and I lived in Tucson for a couple of years in the 70's. I'm sure it has grown and changed beyond recognition to us.

When were you injured? Sorry you suffer so much pain. There are a number of members here with whom to share information. Have you visited the Pain Forum?
    (http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=68)

Look forward to hearing more from you.

All the best,
    GJ

Welcome to CareCure, TucAZVern.

I was injured in a motorcycle accident in 1986. My accident came after my military discharge. I was receiving private health care up until a few years ago when I was dropped from coverage. My back is slowly declining little by little and I have more pain and less mobility now than I did 5 years ago. I'm very happy with the health care the VA has provided. I'm certain I'm reciving the best possible care but I don't think there is much more they can do that hasn't already been done.
    Last edited by TucAZVern; 08-27-2012 at 09:59 PM.

Welcome. Check out our Veterans' Forum as well.

(KLD)