Thread: USB charging from power chair.

USB charging from power chair.

Finally got around to wiring an adapter from the Quantum Q Logic charging port to a standard cigarette lighter socket. As claimed in the specs, my MediaBridge brand car adapter is able to run on 24V. No smoke escaped while charging the iPad. Didn't get any warmer than it would from a 12V receptacle either.
    Assuming the converter is only 50% efficient and you never drive the chair, that's about 10 days of continuos iPad viewing! Not that you'd actually do that, but it puts the addition drain on the power chair batteries into perspective. It's not likely to put even the slightest dent in the battery life.

Western Australia - Hammer wielding daemon
    Even wide range converters will have a sweet spot which may be 14V to 5V at 1.5A. DC 28 V is common in light aircraft, boats, coaches, etc., but DC 14 V (12 V charging) is more common.

Does the converter get warmer than usual?

They should be in the 80% or 90% plus conversion efficiency.

Zero switching supplies are only zero switching at design centre. For example a brick designed for AC 230 V will perform poorly and may even become unstable and loose its magic smoke or catch on fire at AC 250 V.

Quote Originally Posted by zagam View Post
    ... Does the converter get warmer than usual?...
    I have in in a metal socket which may be helping to dissipate a little heat, but the device barely gets warm even with the 2.1A. I've never charged the iPad in a 12V port to compare. Heat was negligible in either case with 1A.
    Last edited by MSspouse; 09-17-2012 at 08:51 AM. Reason: clarified

Just in case anyone else is looking, Here is the one I bought and have had good luck with

http://www.broadenedhorizons.com/power2go-usb-charger
    C5 as of 6-13- 2010

Quote Originally Posted by iburkhart13 View Post
    Just in case anyone else is looking, Here is the one I bought and have had good luck with

http://www.broadenedhorizons.com/power2go-usb-charger
    Good find. I didn't know anyone was making one and I did quite a bit of searching. Bit of an ouch on the price though. Maybe I should start building them and put them on ebay. If I thought I could get $40 I'd be all over it.

Is your chair Q logic controlled also? I'm wondering how many connectors you would have to support.

Next I want to build a 24V powered universal laptop charger. I see that site has some but I don't think I'd pay 4x more than a standard charger. It should be no more than a $50 premium.
    Last edited by MSspouse; 09-17-2012 at 09:26 AM.

XLR to USB Charging Adapter

Here is a XLR to USB Charging Adapter at Monster Scooter Parts for $26.99 + Standard Shipping about $2.61

Quote Originally Posted by skylarjoehill.h View Post
    Here is a XLR to USB Charging Adapter at Monster Scooter Parts for $26.99 + Standard Shipping about $2.61
    Here's the link if anyone is wondering
    http://www.monsterscooterparts.com/xlr-usb-charger.html

C5 as of 6-13- 2010

hi...thanks for sharing this information....it would be helpful