Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: socially unacceptable

I wouldn't automatically assume disability has something to do with it. They came up to you to begin with, right? I would bet most of them just feel like they owe you something now, or you are going to ask for something in return at some point.

Don't let it bother you. People are strange, but at least now the people you've met aren't strangers.

I don't think you need to be told this - keep being you, there's no one else that wants the job.

Quote Originally Posted by tooley View Post
    I wouldn't automatically assume disability has something to do with it. They came up to you to begin with, right? I would bet most of them just feel like they owe you something now, or you are going to ask for something in return at some point.

Don't let it bother you. People are strange, but at least now the people you've met aren't strangers.

I don't think you need to be told this - keep being you, there's no one else that wants the job.
    Yes, exactly I think you hit it right with what you said. Also any kind of disability can produce social isolation, that is a fact, it has been that way throughout history it is just the nature of the human beast. SCI can produce a very lonely experience unless you really approach things in the exact right way.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

I don't think that is socially unacceptable to give things to people at all. I've done it. I'd like to think we all have done it. For me, I give because I have been given to. When, I give it reminds me of all the kindess there is out there and to be thankful for it. I don't ever want to forget that. When I hear about you or someone else out there who gives, it makes me smile, because I know that you see that too. Please, don't beat yourself up over who you are. If someone scowls at you or is just plain rude, I think it is because they don't understand. You have nothing to feel badly about. Just stay true to who you are, and people will see that eventually.

Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Human beans are funny creatures - it can be fun and yet disheartening sometimes trying to figure them out !
    Never you mind what or why 'bout them folks - from my interactions with you here I think you're a peach and like many others here would love love love to share a cuppa or a glass of vino with you - we can be socially awkward together.
    I wear tie-dyed often - in fact one of Bill's friends calls me "moonbeam" cause he thinks I'm a little out there - it's all good - I am actually a little more than a little "out there" - ha ! I've always gravitated toward peeps who are different - life's a box of chocolates and so are the people living it !

we luv u jody
    Obie

Here's a little tune to go with FO's pic - it was my anthem back then -

Last edited by Obieone; 08-27-2012 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Just a little fix up!
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

Hi Jody Good Morning My Friend
    you know I feel much like you ,awkward
    you are more than a friend to me many times in our phone conversations you lighten me up and make me feel Better Ty for that
    And soon someday we will meet my Dear Friend and have some tea
    Gimpy ol me
    GL

One more thing - animals are a pretty good judge of character so if they're loving on you - there's no need to second guess yourself in my books !

Obie
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply"
    So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why
    He said "You look like a fine upstanding young man, I think you'll do"
    So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"
    Whoa-oh-oh

Sign, sign, everywhere a sign
    Blockin' out the scenery, breakin' my mind
    Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?

And the sign said anybody caught trespassin' would be shot on sight
    So I jumped on the fence and-a yelled at the house, "Hey! What gives you
    the
    right?"
    "To put up a fence to keep me out or to keep mother nature in"
    "If God was here he'd tell you to your face, Man, you're some kinda sinner"

Sign, sign, everywhere a sign
    Blockin' out the scenery, breakin' my mind
    Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?

Now, hey you, mister, can't you read?
    You've got to have a shirt and tie to get a seat
    You can't even watch, no you can't eat
    You ain't supposed to be here
    The sign said you got to have a membership card to get inside
    Ugh!

------ lead guitar ------

And the sign said, "Everybody welcome. Come in, kneel down and pray"
    But when they passed around the plate at the end of it all, I didn't have a
    penny to pay
    So I got me a pen and a paper and I made up my own little sign
    I said, "Thank you, Lord, for thinkin' 'bout me. I'm alive and doin' fine."
    Wooo!

Obie-I've been flashing back to 1971 a lot, as I face regressions in hard-won civil rights. This was PERFECT! The hippies didn't end war but those American ladies back then kicked ass and took names!

5 hours sleep and I'm ready to go march on DC LOL. I bet I do have a concussion. I'm laughing, crying and howling out Signs. Dingo went and hid!

I really enjoyed that song.
    We should have Gimpfest, so we can all be "normal" in one place. How am I going to talk the airlines into flying us all somewhere and back for the First annual Gimpfest 2013?

And where shall we have it? Ill bring the tye dye. wofeman can bring his BBQ, Im sure I can find a few bands to keep us entertained. even a couple almost famous ones, I can cash in a couple ol favors, and one of them has to play that song.
    I wonder if cousin john and his doobies would come?

Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    I really enjoyed that song.
    We should have Gimpfest, so we can all be "normal" in one place. How am I going to talk the airlines into flying us all somewhere and back for the First annual Gimpfest 2013?

And where shall we have it? Ill bring the tye dye. wofeman can bring his BBQ, Im sure I can find a few bands to keep us entertained. even a couple almost famous ones, I can cash in a couple ol favors, and one of them has to play that song.
    I wonder if cousin john and his doobies would come?
    If they'd play that song in FL right now there'd be some old men shittin' down their legs. R convention of 1972 was a historic bloodbath.

Or you can play it any weekday on Capitol Hill and school and scare some people LOL. Election years!

The doobies are legit famous imo!