Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rowheels available early next year!

With your caveat in mind, I still see that and think it looks awkward. I hope you are able to produce a newer video showing the wheels being used.

I like the simple design but something like that would not work for me. I use my wrists to stop and turn and just the palms of my hands to push. I gave up trying to grip a long time ago and my wrists are pretty well calloused over so I'm not too worried about cutting them or anything. Leaning back 3 inches or 4 inches would take away my ability to grab stuff in front of me and I'd have to put a negative center of gravity on my chair which is impossible on my (Q7) and would just straight up book awkward. Sorry buddy but they wouldn't work for me
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Quote Originally Posted by rybread View Post
    I like the simple design but something like that would not work for me. I use my wrists to stop and turn and just the palms of my hands to push. I gave up trying to grip a long time ago and my wrists are pretty well calloused over so I'm not too worried about cutting them or anything. Leaning back 3 inches or 4 inches would take away my ability to grab stuff in front of me and I'd have to put a negative center of gravity on my chair which is impossible on my (Q7) and would just straight up book awkward. Sorry buddy but they wouldn't work for me
    I'm a C-5/6 as well and if I was sitting perfectly upright, I'd have a hard time keeping my balance and reaching for things. Most quads I know sit with their hips slightly forward because of that. I didn't mean leaning back.

By the way, I can't use them either. There are some high functioning quads who go up inclines backwards just because their biceps are so much stronger than their triceps, so it would work for them.

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    With your caveat in mind, I still see that and think it looks awkward. I hope you are able to produce a newer video showing the wheels being used.
    That probably won't be possible until mid October.

I don't think they would work for me because I do not lean forward well. I can push very hard but leaning back to pull, eek. But you never know until you try. I tried the Widget, I thiknk that's what it was called. The wheels with the levers for pushing. Anyhow, I didn't like them at all. But you never know with equipment. D's Locks have changed my life. Unless there's an obvious reason something won't work for you, sometimes you need to try it. Still curious to see a video.

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    I don't think they would work for me because I do not lean forward well. I can push very hard but leaning back to pull, eek. But you never know until you try. I tried the Widget, I thiknk that's what it was called. The wheels with the levers for pushing. Anyhow, I didn't like them at all. But you never know with equipment. D's Locks have changed my life. Unless there's an obvious reason something won't work for you, sometimes you need to try it. Still curious to see a video.
    I don't think leaning forward is a requirement for using Rowheels. As long as you are sitting comfortably in your chair and you can touch the center of your wheels with your fingers, you should be OK. If you can go backwards in your chair, you can use Rowheels.
    But like you said, you won't know for sure until you try it and hopefully you'll get a chance to do that.

Salamero……….congratulations on your wheels and the innovative thinking that went into it. I am a C6 quad and during the day I probably jump 4 or 5 curbs per day. These curbs are usually 3 to 4 inches high. I require quite of bit of speed and good forward inertia to jump these curbs. Would this still be possible if my inertia is now going backwards ?

Ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by salamero View Post
    I don't think leaning forward is a requirement for using Rowheels. As long as you are sitting comfortably in your chair and you can touch the center of your wheels with your fingers, you should be OK. If you can go backwards in your chair, you can use Rowheels.
    But like you said, you won't know for sure until you try it and hopefully you'll get a chance to do that.
    I go to the Abilities Expo in San Jose, California. If you are at the next show (or one after) I would definitely like to try them.

Quote Originally Posted by reaton View Post
    Salamero……….congratulations on your wheels and the innovative thinking that went into it. I am a C6 quad and during the day I probably jump 4 or 5 curbs per day. These curbs are usually 3 to 4 inches high. I require quite of bit of speed and good forward inertia to jump these curbs. Would this still be possible if my inertia is now going backwards ?

Ronnie
    Hi Ronnie. First, let me just say,"my hat's off to you sir" because if I tried jumping a 4" curb in my manual chair I'd end up face or back first into the concrete! I'm always amazed by some of the things my fellow super-quad brethren can do.

As for your question, your inertial mass is a constant (unless you lose or gain a few pounds!).Your momentum (which is what you are refering to) is a function of your inertial mass and your velocity and neither of those should change. The ONLY difference would be that you are pulling on the hand rim to go forward instead of pushing. Everything else stays the same. If anything you will be able to accelerate faster to your "safe" curb-jumping speed because of the gear ratio in Rowheels AND because your biceps (which I assume are much stronger than your triceps and anterior deltoids combined) would be doing the heavy lifting when you pull/row.

Salamero…….thanks for the compliments and your explanation. Yes, I have a tippy chair with quite a bit of dump that allows me to jump these curbs…….19” front height and 14” rear height. But, being 56 years old and 36 years post with a lot of athletics in those 36 years, my shoulders are breaking down. I just assumed in a few years I would go to power assist wheels then to an electric chair when I get into my 60s. But, after reading about your rowheels it looks like I can get a few more years out of my shoulders. Can’t wait to see these get to the market.

Ronnie