Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rowheels available early next year!

i would be concerned that pulling backwards to go forwards would involve pulling my shoulders away from the backrest. that is how i get into reverse with my wijit, and if i try to back up an incline, go over the edge of a rug or even bump into a tiny obstacle, i fall forwards towards my knees. i dont have the working ab muscles i need to counter the pulling force - right now if i put my brakes on and pull on my tires ill quickly fold over. maybe with abs it would work - but pushing to go forwards (ie. moving the wheel the same direction as travel) is more intuitive, and a major reason i picked the wijit over the nordigo.

Quote Originally Posted by clk55pete View Post
    That's a very interesting concept. The sorts of things I thought about while watching the video were, in no particular order:

1) simplicity is what I like so there is less to go wrong. Is the wheel simple? Can grit or dirt bugger the system?
    2) robustness - wheels and chairs take a lot of work eg going up and down kerbs - so the wheel needs be proven to be as robust as eg Spinergy
    3) price - for me to consider purchasing the wheel it will either need pricing to a similar level as a standard wheel or I will need to have damaged my shoulders in order to pay a premium to get rid of the pain.

It looks a good idea and I wish you success.

Pete
    Thanks Pete.
    It is a relatively simply mechanism. It has seals to limit dirt, dust and water from getting in.
    We are trying to walk a fine line between lightweight and robust. The RESNA durability testing we plan on having done will verify that.
    I am very conscious of the price issues associated with other devices in this category and we are doing everything possible to bring manufacturing costs down so we can offer it at a sensible price.

Quote Originally Posted by djrolling View Post
    How about over under? over $xxx.xx under $xxxx.xx
    I saw that video I think you need someone in a chair demonstrating them. So you push forward to go backward? or do you flip a lever?

Thanks
    Don't quote me but somewhere between $1,500-$3,000. Hopefully more towards the left but there are still lots of things that could change after testing.

When you pull on the hand rim, you go forward and when you push you go backwards. No lever. It's seemless. The dial being turned in the video engages the hill-holding mechanism.
    So, going from A to B you need 31% less strokes, while traveling 31% farther per full rotation of the hand rim.
    Last edited by salamero; 08-26-2012 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spazdude2011 View Post
    Nice model of a TiLite ZRa! Bet you got it from GRABCAD! How about a thank you to the person who created the model!

Thanks

Leland
    Yes, I did. I added a couple of minor things but if if it is a problem, I will take them down. We will have actual pics by October. Thanks either way!

Quote Originally Posted by amyk View Post
    i would be concerned that pulling backwards to go forwards would involve pulling my shoulders away from the backrest. ...
    My thoughts exactly. Another thing I notice is the handrims are spaced out quite far from the tire increasing the overall width a couple inches. And, I would imagine safety requirements will ultimately dictate a guard due to counter rotating spokes.

Interesting though. Are you able to combine this with multi-speed hubs or they protected by patents (don't see why as it's not much different from the Bendix 2 speed bicycle hubs of the 60's).

Quote Originally Posted by amyk View Post
    i would be concerned that pulling backwards to go forwards would involve pulling my shoulders away from the backrest. that is how i get into reverse with my wijit, and if i try to back up an incline, go over the edge of a rug or even bump into a tiny obstacle, i fall forwards towards my knees. i dont have the working ab muscles i need to counter the pulling force - right now if i put my brakes on and pull on my tires ill quickly fold over. maybe with abs it would work - but pushing to go forwards (ie. moving the wheel the same direction as travel) is more intuitive, and a major reason i picked the wijit over the nordigo.
    Amy, as a quad, I know exactly what you are talking about.I have given this some thought and it will depend on how you sit in the chair. If you sit very upright , with the center of gravity of your upper body right above your hips, and you don't have much trunck control it will be a problem. If you slide your hips out 3 to 4 inches, it should not be an issue. This is especialy true going up an incline where pulling yourself forward a bit (or by as much as the angle of the incline)will keep you level and reduce the chances of tipping. We will know for sure after the user trials.
    Last edited by salamero; 08-26-2012 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MSspouse View Post
    My thoughts exactly. Another thing I notice is the handrims are spaced out quite far from the tire increasing the overall width a couple inches. And, I would imagine safety requirements will ultimately dictate a guard due to counter rotating spokes.

Interesting though. Are you able to combine this with multi-speed hubs or they protected by patents (don't see why as it's not much different from the Bendix 2 speed bicycle hubs of the 60's).
    They will be a little bit wider, yes. And yes, they will have finger guards.No multi speed yet but if we are successful, fingers crossed, I have lots of ideas for new features.

Quote Originally Posted by salamero View Post
    Yes, I did. I added a couple of minor things but if if it is a problem, I will take them down. We will have actual pics by October. Thanks either way!
    NO problem man! Grabcad is an open access upload/download site. All I was asking for was recognition for my work, Good luck in your engineering/design endeavors!

Ok. I went back and dug up a short, old video of the very first Rowheels concept prototype being used. Keep in mind that this was 6 years ago and the design and function have changed but the idea is still the same; pull to go forward.

http://youtu.be/_I0glt9buq0

Very interesting! Hmm