Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows woes

Quote Originally Posted by GL View Post
    I use a 5 lb Sledge but it makes a mess and too much plastic things flying around
    Then My shop Vac sucks up them broken pieces
    I have a shop vac but no sledge. Maybe my hatchet will work. My profanity has scorched the screen and I am close to needing a new computer anyway. lol
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

If you are still having the problem you can perform a repair install. This will keep all your files. It will fix the corruption issue. If you use special hardware --mouse, keyboard-- with specialized drivers save your drivers to disc.

I still have the problem. Everything else seems to be working fine so I am not going to rush. I have had problems go away just as mysteriously as they appeared. If push comes to shove, I think the repair option will be the best if I do not get a less drastic solution. Thanks to all who are helping me think this problem through.

Western Australia - Hammer wielding daemon
    Same problem as computer going slow post. Its normal for Microsoft Windows. Scorched earth format and clean install if repair does not work. Better still install Linux or get a Mac and also install Linux in another partition.

Maybe your hard drive is beginning to go. Windows has chkdisk or scandisk in it to give your hard drive the once over. Or better yet, go to your hard drive's website and download their tools.

For the helluvit I just ordered a 128GB SATA 3 Solid State Disk (SSD) from Amazon. Should be here in about a week... about $115 with free shipping.

It's a Crucial m4 128GB 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s CT128M4SSD2. Currently I have a 500GB SATA HDD with 4 partitions on it. All 4 are only 20% used so for me 128GB hard drive is fine. Especially since I'll still be using my 500GB, but just for storage.

Most, if not all, SATA 3 (6Gb/s) SSDs are backwards compatible to SATA 2 (3Gb/s). That'll come in handy should I upgrade my MB anytime soon.

Good luck SCIfor55yrs. I hope you're able to fix your computer without having to replace any hardware.

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

I am surprised that this old thread has been resurrected. To give you an update, I have just ignored the problem since my last post. Everything else continues to work fine. Every once in a while I get a pop-up alert telling me that Windows is not able to update. I have all my data files backed up on a flash drive and online. At this point I am not wasting any more time chasing a ghost until I am forced to. lol

I am not paranoid because I reproduced attacks

My XP image broke. I needed .Net for Active Directory tools for Samba4.

Now its working I just disabled updates. Like any of my Windows machines it can't reach the Internet. Windows LAN has no NAT or proxy config. I spoof the updates with empty lists and it just runs.

Are you using your XP on the Internet? Just beware that it, like most other Microsoft machines is probably pwned. If this is a concern then get something better.

Typical solutions are low credit limit or debit cards with limited funds for on-line purchases.

Info joined with credit card is usually phones numbers, delivery address, answers to fixed security questions, DoB. Just from some ones www use (via MITM) I can get enough to be them. For example spoof their phone number via ISDN and order a shit load of sand to be delivered to their drive way. Don't use IE (or sadly my fav Mozilla). I have been able to join images with faces via facebook. That old pre Internet school year book that got scanned, put on line and then OCRed by Google can also be joined.

The Windows updates don't fix this kind of thing anyway. They usually "try" to by breaking something else.

AutoRun was exploited by Sony and Chinese PLA malware. So what do Microsoft do? Break something else! According to Microsoft "Our customers want that" (TM).

Can still run Chrome which can run javascript and flash with relative safety on XP so let Google spy on you rather than every one else. http://support.google.com/chrome/bin...n&answer=95411

Microsoft "disk" errors

Quote Originally Posted by bob clark View Post
    Maybe your hard drive is beginning to go.
    Under any other OS hard discs are very reliable. It is rare for them go before predictive failure and when they go they really go. This makes lots of noise (console messages) in GNU/Linux. In Microsoft the system will hang and then crash and not boot at all. If its a head crash then drive itself also make a noise. I.e. Volume in drive C is too loud! -)

Microsoft "disk" problems usually go away when you make new disc label and volumes (fdisk and format in microspeak).

However, I have noted actual soft hardware errors since SATA. As a rule I use better "triple" shielded SATA cables and do not run them parallel to any other cable, especially another SATA cable.

On a Sun X2100 (amd64 machine) I replaced SATA drive and then got an HBA. In both cases the problem came back. I then replaced SATA cables and used on board HBA and running strong since. As this was running GNU/Linux I could repair the RAID in linux MD without outage and could have repaired file system at boot if required.

With Microsoft if scandisk fails you have to re-partition (delete all in fdisk), format and install. Even if scandisk works you still have to do this if repair install fails as state may have been damaged. See bit-rot. If you restore any data take great care not to restore bit-rot.

I boot a Linux rescue image and zero out MBR, reserved sectors, FATs and root directory by zeroing out the first GiB with:--

Code:
    dd bs=32768 count=32768 if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda
    I also do this without the count option when I dispose of a machine or if I really suspect the disc and want to write all, must check that size written matches drive size. If not then securely destroy the drive.

Then boot the Microsoft Windows install on what is now a brand new disk as far as Microsoft is concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by bob clark View Post
    Maybe your hard drive is beginning to go. Windows has chkdisk or scandisk in it to give your hard drive the once over. Or better yet, go to your hard drive's website and download their tools.

For the helluvit I just ordered a 128GB SATA 3 Solid State Disk (SSD) from Amazon. Should be here in about a week... about $115 with free shipping.

It's a Crucial m4 128GB 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s CT128M4SSD2. Currently I have a 500GB SATA HDD with 4 partitions on it. All 4 are only 20% used so for me 128GB hard drive is fine. Especially since I'll still be using my 500GB, but just for storage.

Most, if not all, SATA 3 (6Gb/s) SSDs are backwards compatible to SATA 2 (3Gb/s). That'll come in handy should I upgrade my MB anytime soon.

Good luck SCIfor55yrs. I hope you're able to fix your computer without having to replace any hardware.

Bob.
    Hi Bob,

Be careful with the SSD SATA drive. I had one and it just quit. No warning, no nothing. I removed it and set it up as a USB and still would not work. I will probably try one again but not until they are more reliable.

Good luck.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne