Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows woes

Windows woes

Windows 7 Home Premium – 32 bit

I had Windows set to update automatically and it worked well until the end of June. I tried to fix the problem today. I tried a manual update and get the message “Windows update error 80073712.” Following instructions to correct the problem, I downloaded and ran Microsoft’s “System update readiness tool.” It did not fix the problem. I continued to get the same error message. Microsoft said if that did not work to reinstall Windows. Yipes! No way.

I went to my favorite solution and tried to restore the system to a date preceding the problem. I got the message that “the restore was unsuccessful because of an unspecified error copying the registry.” I tried running restore in safe mode. Same result.

I went to the Control Panel/Recovery/Troubleshoot/… and eventually got to an Update Fixer. I tried that. After it ran I got a message that 2 problems had been identified and fixed. I tried a manual update again and the problem was still there with the 80073712 error message.

Any suggestions?

I am not going to reinstall Windows and have to reinstall all my apps. It is working fine except for the update issue. My thinking is that it may run fine until I upgrade.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

You can give the Microsoft Fix-It Center a try. By the way, Windows 7 has an easy way for you to create a system image. With your current situation it is like Napoleon saying "maybe we should bring in the paramedics," after the battle of Waterloo. It's a little too late.

Good luck.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

SCI55, sounds like yours happened before but there is a current problem with McAfee's AV automatic updates crashing WLAN cards in Dell computers. McAfee's came up with a fix but you need to call Dell tech support. It is a complicated process but no reloading Windows. It only effects the ability to connect to the internet.
    Now if your Win7 has stopped doing much when offline and rebooting helps sometimes then on boot up hit Diagnostics and run it. It will take forever but you will get a list of errors at the end. Then Google the errors to find help or call a good geek. The next time mine goes goofy from explorer.exe not kicking in this goes to the Geek Squad for a new video BIOS chip.
    PN, any hints on that easy way to create a system image? I've never reinstalled Windows but could replace video cards back in the IBM plug and play days.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

I just wiped a computer because of the macafee thing. It took four days. seems to be working amazingly well. it took two days to get all the drivers loaded.

I have Norton protection and I am not aware of any related problems. I wonder if any of those "registry fix" programs that are advertised are worth trying. Anyone use one that works?
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

I've seen freeware registry cleaners, but I know nothing about them. Perhaps a website like PC Magazine or C/Net has info?
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
    PN, any hints on that easy way to create a system image? I've never reinstalled Windows but could replace video cards back in the IBM plug and play days.
    Hello Sue: I heard about the chaos McAfee caused with its virus signature updates. The video below will demonstrate how to create a system image using Windows 7.

The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

I have always had success with Ccleaner.exe. It will clean the clutter left by browsers, also. When I recommend it to a friend, they also remark about their computer running faster. I have never lost data using this program but it does give you the option of creating a restore point just in case.

Good luck.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

I use a 5 lb Sledge but it makes a mess and too much plastic things flying around
    Then My shop Vac sucks up them broken pieces

http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download
    I like avast, they identify the problems and send instructions on how to fix it that a computard like me was able to follow.

I have used the free virus protection for two years and have had no problems with that machine.