Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marvel backrest pin

Marvel backrest pin

Hi everyone. I've got a Marvel, which I love. ( I don't love what happened to the company ...) Seeing as they're totally impossible when it comes to followup now, I wonder if anyone here might have had the same problem as me, and whether you have found a solution.

What keeps happening is that the pin that locks the backrest post in place keeps breaking. They barely last a couple of days, and it's a bit of nuisance to keep replacing them. Has anyone else had this problem? What solution did you come up with? I could just bolt it down, but then I lose the ability to fold it.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    If I'm thinking of the same part.

I went with one of these for awhile

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/Pla...-Plunger-3JDA1

Problem for me, was the part that it screws into is only press fitted into the backrest pole, so if it catches it will just push that part off!
    I managed to get that welded on, and it worked really well for awhile.
    Then some how it got caught again and bent the base.
    now I have piece of steel tube that fits over the whole hinge assembly, which slides up when I want the back to drop, and falls into place to stop the back falling down.

i have had my Marvel almost 4 years now and have only had to replace that pin just recently. i think mine broke while a friend was loading in the back of his pickup truck, not sure what actually broke it. he didnt notice and i found the pin later in the bed of the truck.
    if you are breaking them so often maybe there is a adjustment off, maybe you have your seat back adjusted to snug. i have mine set loose so if i ever go over the back rest will collapse easier. where is the pin breaking, is it shearing off inside the back rest cane? i very rarely fold my back rest and actually grab the back rest pole between the backrest and seat & pull/roll up and into the side my van so im actually very surprised i have broke more of them by the way i load and un load my chair.

i would also like to know more from NW-Will about the replacement plunger knob he used from Graingers? was this also a spring load pull pin knob? did it install the same way as the original without any mods? 11.00 is a big difference than the 90 bucks i paid for my replacement from Marvel

I got so fed up with my back pin failing I JB Welded the whole thing into a non-folding back.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Quote Originally Posted by BobMach View Post

i would also like to know more from NW-Will about the replacement plunger knob he used from Graingers? was this also a spring load pull pin knob? did it install the same way as the original without any mods? 11.00 is a big difference than the 90 bucks i paid for my replacement from Marvel
    Yes it is sprung loaded. Uses the same thread so it screws straight in.
    I did drill out the receiving hole a little so it was nice and snug.

It worked really well, you just have to hold it out when you engage it and disengage it.

Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    Yes it is sprung loaded. Uses the same thread so it screws straight in.
    I did drill out the receiving hole a little so it was nice and snug.

It worked really well, you just have to hold it out when you engage it and disengage it.
    thanks for the info. going to add that to my "MARVEL" file

It's shearing inside. It seems to happen when there is some pressure on the backrest. One time the coach driver stowed the chair underneath the bus with the back rest up, but the chair flipped back. More recently, the pin bent when I had the chair flipped back to make some adjustments, and then in the back of a car it broke completely without much pressure on it at all. It is quite loose, so it doesn't seem to be because it's adjusted too snug.

I started bolting it down when I'm travelling and the chair is out of my hands. There is a bolt hidden in the post that shows when you fold the back forward, that can be put back in, but threaded all the way through both parts of the post. But even that didn't help. The pin broke in the space of 2 weeks anyway. I like to be able to fold it for stowing, and because baggage handlers inevitably twist the backrest.

Thanks NW-Will, I will give that part a try!

Quote Originally Posted by Prestonius View Post
    It's shearing inside. It seems to happen when there is some pressure on the backrest. One time the coach driver stowed the chair underneath the bus with the back rest up, but the chair flipped back. More recently, the pin bent when I had the chair flipped back to make some adjustments, and then in the back of a car it broke completely without much pressure on it at all. It is quite loose, so it doesn't seem to be because it's adjusted too snug.

I started bolting it down when I'm travelling and the chair is out of my hands. There is a bolt hidden in the post that shows when you fold the back forward, that can be put back in, but threaded all the way through both parts of the post. But even that didn't help. The pin broke in the space of 2 weeks anyway. I like to be able to fold it for stowing, and because baggage handlers inevitably twist the backrest.

Thanks NW-Will, I will give that part a try!
    That is similar to what happened to me.
    I fell backwards a couple of times, which must have mashed up the pin(best way I can describe it). It also bent out the flange part of the Mortise part of the hinge joint (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortise_and_tenon). The tenon part being where it hinges from.

The bent out flange was too weak to hold any kind of pin.

So I've changed strategy. I now have a piece of steel tube that slides
    up and down the backpost that fits really tightly over the hinged joint.
    When it's down the hinge can no longer bend. when I slide the steel tube
    up I can drop the back down. It's pretty rough looking right now, but works really well.

Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    That is similar to what happened to me.
    I fell backwards a couple of times, which must have mashed up the pin(best way I can describe it). It also bent out the flange part of the Mortise part of the hinge joint (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortise_and_tenon). The tenon part being where it hinges from.

The bent out flange was too weak to hold any kind of pin.

So I've changed strategy. I now have a piece of steel tube that slides
    up and down the backpost that fits really tightly over the hinged joint.
    When it's down the hinge can no longer bend. when I slide the steel tube
    up I can drop the back down. It's pretty rough looking right now, but works really well.
    That is a good idea. The designer of the Marvel had a neat back post, custom bent and shaped. When I saw that, I immediately concluded the OEM design was crap if the designer didn't even use one. Come to think, neither of the 'insider' Marvels I've seen were running the stock, single post back rest.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

NW-Will, would you be willing to post a picture?