Thread: Dr. Wise: Is your opinion still the same?

Dr. Wise: Is your opinion still the same?

'I get hundreds and hundreds of people who ask me, `Should I go to Beijing now?' I say they should wait,'' said Dr. Wise Young, a neuroscientist at Rutgers University in New Jersey who has observed Huang's work. ``But there is desperation. When you are a quadriplegic, a year is an eternity.''

i´m quad and i will wait. im 22 and i want the best recovery, and i will wait to get it the necesary time.
    excuse my english.

I seriously thought about going but decided to wait until combo therapies are available. However, I'm 44 and as each year passes it gets harder and harder to wait.

Deb

i agree with you debbie, i think that combo therapies will be the key of cure.

Hi Eric, I think his opinion is the same.

Combination therapies are promising but there's also Nogo, Inosine and magnetic field stimulators. The question is which will be the first to receive FDA approval for use in chronic injuries.

However, I'm 44 and as each year passes it gets harder and harder to wait.
    I'm approahing 48, and I am loosing hope far to readily. Although in "good condition" now, I am beginning to doubt what I'll be like when I'm 54,55,56. . . .

Anyone who chooses to go to China must be aware that there will only be a degree of recovery and it may be very slight. If they wish to contribute something to knowledge that may help bring a cure then by all means go and you may get some useful function back, especially if you are a quad.

However, you will probably be unable to partake in another clinical.

The cure, ie functioning apparantly "normally" hasn't happened yet. Wise has said if you had experimental operations that would not exempt you from having a tried and true procedure but you may not qualify for another trial.

Speaking as a paraplegic no current procedures are worth while other than excercise and stretching.

Blog Entries
    I'm not Wise, not even wise, but in reference to this post and the reader comments thus far, I will say this about that; Yes, No, Yes, No..

Yes, I went to Beijing to get stir-fry OEG, and I'd do it again [see below].

No, I haven't managed to graduate from quad to para, or even from c4/5 to c5/6.

Yes, despite the previous comment, I did benefit from the OEG transplant. I can point to specific improvements as described in another thread. Not just the physical improvements, but I also received an infusion of hope, coupled with encouragement and sheer excitement on behalf of the entire SCI world.

No, I would not spend my last $20,000-+ on this procedure as a proverbial 'Hail Mary pass' and ignoring the very liklihood that, while definately not new technology, the OEG transplant program remains in its infancy stage. Opportunities for greater levels of recoveries will be achieved using OEG as part of combination therapies.

Finally; once, while still an inpatient at Kessler I attended a brief lecture discussing sci-cure prospects. I vehemently protested a suggestion that any SCI would be crazy, if not careless to consider any of the present day therapies being clinically tested overseas. Sure, we need to steer clear of the snake oils out there, but just the fact we are willing to travel far and risk ourselves in quest for a cure speaks volumes of just how desperate we are to return to our former lives.

Yes, well said Tim C

I think if we are to be cured we do need to emphasise that we want our former lives back and that we are not comfortable with our physical limitations. I think there is a common misconception about sci people, that is that we heroically accept a new life style and do not want to be cured. We may put up with it because we have no choice at present but it has never been mankind's way to put up with the status quo - we try to advance.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Chris2, I must believe Eric's question answers itself.