Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jeep with a Stick?

Jeep with a Stick?

When I was visiting my brother last Wednesday after a trip to Toronto, he mentioned I could tool around in the 'farm jeep' if I could figure out how to drive it since it's a stick-shift. (It's my 83yr old father's but step-monster won't let him park it in front of her house in town so he doesn't drive it anymore, lol).

Any ideas? This is how I could reconnect with the area I grew up in .. places I haven't been since I was 12. (And I can't afford an ATV at the moment, lol).
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

John Hockenberry says it's impossiblle. His credentials are impeccable. He invented a device to depress piano pedals but never could get the stick thing down.

Sorry.

And girrll, your Dad is p-whipped! Mine would have parked in the yard but he loved the yard more than us, so he didn't LOL.

i drove a stick once in costa rica. most of ppl with disabilities do. it was scary as hell lol
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

since my hip flexor weakened I cant depress the clutch and hold it long enough to properly shift. I had an old jeep that had no clutch though, and you just waited for the right sound of rmp and shifted. It was the farm jeep too. I dont see how you can lyn you must let the clutch out gently too or you kill it. I can no longer let the clutch out properly because it is an abrupt lift at the hip because of the braces. without the brace, my ankle buckles an d slides off the clutch pedal.
    It sure won't hurt to try though.
    I had to go automatic because of the clutch foot not being useful enough.

Just put in regular hand controls (even temp PHC's which go in within 5 minutes) and then run another rod down for the clutch (maybe another set of PHC's with just the brake rod and use for the clutch) Put the clutch lever on the right side and the gas and brake on the left side of the steering wheel, DONE!!! The only problem is you will have no hands on the steering wheel when operating the clutch, so I can''t be held liable if you crash.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Not worth it.

But get someone to capture it on video if you try.

The clutch is so hard to push, much harder than the gas and brake, I have driven with my feet for 30 years but was never strong enough to push the clutch down.
    TH 12, 43 years post

If you can push the clutch in, yes. If not get some one to drive you. No one turns down the chance to drive a jeep. What year and model?
    http://www.jeepclubs.org/canada/cent...4x4-club.shtml
    Try these folks, they may be going trail riding and some one will go with you.
    I built a set of hand controls for a guy to drive his once. He was a bear of a guy and couldn't hack handleing that clutch all day. Wore out his elbow.

Hmmm I thought someone had come up with a device. Shifter paddles out of the question I suppose ... My brother is dangerous and would want to show off. I'd need a 5 point harness before I'd let him drive!!!! The creek is a steep ditch and I could imagine me stuck while he goes to fetch the tractor to bail me out.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

But do you know how to use the shift? I only have license for automatic so I am one of the few Norwegian who don't have an idea when and how to change and how to use the clutch. Like you I got the license after I was disable.
    TH 12, 43 years post