Thread: Persistent UTI

Persistent UTI

I manage my bladder using intermittent catheterization 4-6 times ago, and having recurrent UTI every 1-3 months.

Before 1 month I had a sever UTI, I did urine culture and sensitivity test, and the doctor gave me cipro, but it didn't work, then he gave me Tavanic (levofloxacin) and it didn't work also, and the symptoms got worst. so I was admitted into the hospital and had an IV for two days, the symptoms improved so the doctor continued the medication using antibiotic called "Meiact" , I finished the course two days ago and the symptoms seems to be reappeared again (a sever pain and AD)..

I am supposed to wait for 72 hours after finishing the course and get a sample for urine culture.. but I am afraid that the UTI may became worse and cause other problems by the time the culture result came out.

what should I do? can this UTI cause more serious problem like kidney failure??
    This UTI seems to be the hardest I encountered and I am so afraid please help..

It's probably going to be helpful to know what the bug was and also what it was resistant to - the information on the prior C&S reports, or the current one when available (assuming it is the same bug).

Quote Originally Posted by zaid_86 View Post
    I manage my bladder using intermittent catheterization 4-6 times ago, and having recurrent UTI every 1-3 months.

Before 1 month I had a sever UTI, I did urine culture and sensitivity test, and the doctor gave me cipro, (How long did you take Cipro?) but it didn't work, then he gave me Tavanic (levofloxacin)(How long did you take this antibiotic?) and it didn't work also, and the symptoms got worst. so I was admitted into the hospital and had an IV (what was the IV antibiotic?) for two days, the symptoms improved so the doctor continued the medication using antibiotic called "Meiact" (cefditoren pivoxil, brand name: Spectracef, most often used for Chronic Bronchitis, Community-Acquired Pneumonia, Tonsillitis, Skin Infections-How long did you take this antibiotic?) , I finished the course two days ago and the symptoms seems to be reappeared again (a sever pain and AD)..

I am supposed to wait for 72 hours after finishing the course and get a sample for urine culture.. but I am afraid that the UTI may became worse and cause other problems by the time the culture result came out.

what should I do? can this UTI cause more serious problem like kidney failure??
    This UTI seems to be the hardest I encountered and I am so afraid please help..
    It is interesting that Cipro did help the urinary tract infection (UTI). Cipro is a "big gun" antibiotic for UTIs. Levoquin (levofloxacin) is also a powerful antibiotic. It is important to remember that antibiotics taken for UTIs in people with neurogenic bladders need to be taken for 10-14 days rather than 7 days for people who do not have neurogenic complications of the bladder.

Likewise, a two day course of IV antibiotics is very short, no matter what the antibiotic prescribed. When I was experiencing recurrent UTIs and was given IV antibiotics, they were administered at home through a PICC (peripherally inserted central catheter) for two weeks.

My worry for you is that you are being given short courses of antibiotics and possibly not the right antibiotics for the bacteria causing the infection. You may be breeding super bugs (bacteria) and antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria. Yes, it is possible for these infections to move into the kidneys and they can, indeed, be serious.

Is it possible for you to consult with a doctor who specializes in infectious diseases, instead of or in conjunction with your urologist or primary care physician?

All the best,
    GJ

thank you gjnl, the information you provided was helpful.

here is my answers,

I took cipro for 5 days, tivanic for 7 days (as I remember), and the last one
    Meiact for 10 days.

According to the information you provided, I think its short period of the medications.
    I will get a sample for urine analysis and culture tommorow and will see my doctor right away..

If he got the culture it told him what medicine would kill it but might have needed a longer course. Our culture is same for cipro and levaquin. also might need to rule out bladder and kidney stones.Remember many people bewcome resistant to antibiotics and the ones given.That is why the culture and sensitivity are so important for people with SCI.
    CWO