Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 31

Thread: ? for jerry silver

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    853
    Dr. Silver how far away is your therapy from humans? Is it still 3-5 years away or if everything fall's right in the near future?

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by jsilver View Post
    It turns out that for incomplete injuries, ch'ase does promote sprouting of the CST and functional recovery of the forepaw in adult rodents at both acute and chronic time points. This is the work from the Fawcett lab. Multiple ch'ase injections have been given to primates for large area proteoglycan digestion with very nice results and no side effects. this is work from the Tuszynski lab. Thus, ch'ase can be delivered over a wide area big enough to stimulate plasticity in the human cord. We have a new peptide that blocks CSPG receptors and can be delivered systemically for long periods of time. Our results using an acute contusion model are showing very nice return of a number of functions including improved walking, bladder function and gridwalk abilities. I'll present this new data at W2W. Liz Bradbury's new lenti ch'ase promotes regeneration and sprouting of the CST among other pathways and restores some function after acute contusive injury as well.
    Dr. Silver,

    could you explain better what you mean with "a wide area big enough to stimulate plasticity"?

    Does that mean that to have more benefical effect Ch'ase should be administrated in the injury and also below the injury site?

    Paolo
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

  3. #13
    Dr. Silver ,
    Hi, in one of your post you said that CHAS' seems to work better in chronics than acute sci; isn't that correct ? when will you try your new peptide on "complete" chronic spinal cord injury animal (larger animal ) ? Thanks for your reply.

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by #LHB# View Post
    Dr. Silver how far away is your therapy from humans? Is it still 3-5 years away or if everything fall's right in the near future?
    The International Spinal Research Trust (ISRT) is a wonderful SCI Foundation in the UK and is now pushing hard toward clinical trials with Ch'ase. I firmly believe that before 3 years is possible.

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by kz View Post
    Dr. Silver ,
    Hi, in one of your post you said that CHAS' seems to work better in chronics than acute sci; isn't that correct ? when will you try your new peptide on "complete" chronic spinal cord injury animal (larger animal ) ? Thanks for your reply.
    Yes, that is surprisingly true. We see stronger output from the phrenic motor neurons when ch'ase is delivered chronically (1.5 years after injury) after a C2 hemisection. the magnitude of the output is 4X that which we see after acute injury and administration of the enzyme. We are setting up animals now for peptide delivery at chronic stages following a severe contusive injury.

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla View Post
    Dr. Silver,

    could you explain better what you mean with "a wide area big enough to stimulate plasticity"?

    Does that mean that to have more benefical effect Ch'ase should be administrated in the injury and also below the injury site?

    Paolo
    The perceived problem in animals with a big spinal cord was that ch'ase had to be delivered over a relatively wide area. That would take multiple injections and it was feared that the long time for injection and the many surgical penetrations might lead to untoward side effects. However, I was very gratified to learn that the Tuszynski lab treated the primate (Rhesus) spinal cord with many ch'ase injections ( I think on the order of 20) with no adverse events which resulted in degradation of the proteoglycan within the perineuronal net over a very large multisegment area. We are awaiting the functional outcome of these experiments which are aimed at improving hand function following a C6-7 hemisection lesion.

  7. #17
    Dr Silver, many thanks for all this information.
    Last edited by Christopher Paddon; 08-26-2012 at 08:14 PM.

  8. #18
    Senior Member lynnifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Windsor ON Canada
    Posts
    19,320
    Quote Originally Posted by jsilver View Post
    The International Spinal Research Trust (ISRT) is a wonderful SCI Foundation in the UK and is now pushing hard toward clinical trials with Ch'ase. I firmly believe that before 3 years is possible.
    This is great to hear. I absolutely want treatments for our vent dependent quads around here ... I could name the names of people I care about here but dammit I hope they see treatment sooner rather than later!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

    T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    This is great to hear. I absolutely want treatments for our vent dependent quads around here ... I could name the names of people I care about here but dammit I hope they see treatment sooner rather than later!
    We are not solely targeting the phrenic motor pool for recovery. There is an equally strong rationale based on good pre-clinical data that hand function and even lower limb function could be impacted by enzyme delivery.

  10. #20
    Thanks, lynnifer, that was gracefully and noble.

    "Liz Bradbury's new lenti ch'ase promotes regeneration and sprouting of the CST among other pathways and restores some function after acute contusive injury as well."
    Dr.Silver, regeneration here relates only to axons or may be somehow to neurons themselves too?

Similar Threads

  1. Jerry Silver talks to me
    By Christopher Paddon in forum Cure
    Replies: 118
    Last Post: 06-10-2012, 09:53 AM
  2. open question to wise and jerry silver
    By lunasicc42 in forum Cure
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-16-2011, 02:26 PM
  3. Replies: 53
    Last Post: 11-23-2011, 08:24 AM
  4. jerry Silver wins Javits Award
    By Max in forum Funding, Legislation, & Advocacy
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-10-2004, 09:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •