Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: My friends new TR3

Quote Originally Posted by totoL1 View Post
    I don`t understand that about static vertical stability, why a 90º is better for transfers? i suppose just because is easier to take your legs out of the chair, but what to do that with stability of the chair?

Anyway i was speaking about dynamic forward stability and when you bend forward to pick something the chair dosen`t fall forward.
    A less extreme angle or 1 or 2 inch longer frame take to the same place, more distance between wheels, so choice your favorite, but i wouldn`t like to be with a chair with a frame depth 2" longer that what i really need, so i will go for a 80º or 75º, and have an advantage in cantilevers frames, the tubes are less bend so they are less stressed.
    Footrest is in the same location, however, 16+1@85 is preferable to 16@80 because it provides more horizontal frame rail for transfers, more usable room in front of the rear wheel, can allow more weightbearing on the footrest without risk of tipping, and allows the chair to get closer. These may not be critical for an L1 injury, but become increasingly important the higher the injury.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    Footrest is in the same location, however, 16+1@85 is preferable to 16@80 because it provides more horizontal frame rail for transfers, more usable room in front of the rear wheel, can allow more weightbearing on the footrest without risk of tipping, and allows the chair to get closer. These may not be critical for an L1 injury, but become increasingly important the higher the injury.
    ok. i get it now, same as a behind cog, give more room for transfer to high injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Brianm View Post
    Yes, I think you are on the right track with your thinking. You just have to try and determine how much extra frame is sufficient for you. Do you find your current chair unstable?
    My old TRC is a 90 degree but the "already included" 1 inch really does not feel like there's anything extra.

Attached is my 90 degree front angle. I have to say yes and no to its stability. Overall, there's stability but there was 1 incident where ramming into a small surface discrepancy (at the elevator threshold) that sent my wheelchair flying forward.
    Last edited by Jim; 08-30-2012 at 02:40 PM.

As far as the front angle and the chair being in danger of tipping forward goes. I've always had 80 degree's in the past. If I were to lean out over the front of my chair to reach something or pick something up off of the ground then the back wheels would come up off of the ground and I would get dumped if i didn't catch myself. The reason being that the weight was being put to far forward on the footplate well out past my casters. With my current 90 degree chair the back wheels have never left the ground when leaning forward even if picking something up off of the ground because my feet are pretty much sitting even with my casters so there is no way for the weight to be out in front of them and tip.

However when rolling with speed and hitting something that stops the chair via the casters it is more likely to dump me forward than it was before, wheelies are there for a reason. I prefer the 90 degree's I currently have so much more than I did before. The extra room for turning in tight spaces is great.
    Most everything I say is

Quote Originally Posted by TexasWheelz View Post
    As far as the front angle and the chair being in danger of tipping forward goes. I've always had 80 degree's in the past. If I were to lean out over the front of my chair to reach something or pick something up off of the ground then the back wheels would come up off of the ground and I would get dumped if i didn't catch myself. The reason being that the weight was being put to far forward on the footplate well out past my casters. With my current 90 degree chair the back wheels have never left the ground when leaning forward even if picking something up off of the ground because my feet are pretty much sitting even with my casters so there is no way for the weight to be out in front of them and tip.

However when rolling with speed and hitting something that stops the chair via the casters it is more likely to dump me forward than it was before, wheelies are there for a reason. I prefer the 90 degree's I currently have so much more than I did before. The extra room for turning in tight spaces is great.

That is not applicable to custom wheelchairs which you can choice where you want your caster housing barrel.

That is not applicable to custom wheelchairs which you can choice where you want your caster housing barrel.
    Sorry i didn't know we were talking only about custom wheelchairs, I must have missed that part of the conversation. I know it is applicable to Tilite and Quickie which I would say the majority of the people on here have.
    Most everything I say is

Quote Originally Posted by TexasWheelz View Post
    Sorry i didn't know we were talking only about custom wheelchairs, I must have missed that part of the conversation. I know it is applicable to Tilite and Quickie which I would say the majority of the people on here have.
    We was talking about stability and i didn`t understand at first somethings about vertical stability, but now i do, SCI_OTR and you have described to me.

Good explanation, Texas!!

Fork stem placement and the length of the tubing that attaches the caster housing/caster barrel to the front frame is dependent to some extent on the front frame angle. Yet again, the Pythagorean theorem provides some of the rationale...

Think of Point "B" as the intersection of the front frame with the footrest and Point "C" as the point where the caster makes contact with the ground.

The fork stem (line "b") must be vertical. Caster trail , caster diameter, and swivel radius should also be taken into consideration since the casters must be able to clear the footplate.

Unless one opts for a "custom" caster housing placement out to the side, similar to the now infamous caster housing setting 1 on a Q7, as Angle "A" increases so will the distance between the caster and the front of the footrest (Line "a").

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post

The fork stem (line "b") must be vertical. Caster trail , caster diameter, and swivel radius should also be taken into consideration since the casters must be able to clear the footplate.

Unless one opts for a "custom" caster housing placement out to the side, similar to the now infamous caster housing setting 1 on a Q7, as Angle "A" increases so will the distance between the caster and the front of the footrest (Line "a").
    OK, now i understand it perfectly.
    When i was in Oracing factory i told to the engineer that i wanted my chair with 1.2" more distance between axles( rear wheels and caster), so i stay with the same cog, so they need to move the caster barrel housing, when he do the cad and i saw the width between caster barrel housing was really wide because i moved to 5" caster, but in reality was like that for save what you told about radius of the caster for clear the footplate, but the engineers estimate that measurement assuming all the adjustaments that can be done with the footplate( of course they have to do it like that), But some times we don`t need that radius, like me, i have a solid seat pan and that make my foot been in a higher position so i reduced around 2" between my casters housing.

As you can see in the first pic, look how near is my caster housing to the frame for have 5" casters, but in the second pic you can see the explanation, i can adjust around an ich down my footplate but not more, but sure i will never move it.

Banned

Smile My new TR3

Hey guys,

I want to thank you all for the tips and suggestions you had posted, I really appreciate it. After a couple weeks of adjusting to my new chair, my balance improved tremendously, I no longer feel like I am going to fall forward. All the new settings have also eliminated my back pain which I am ecstatic about. The small hiccups as far as the correct wheels and footplate were corrected by TiLite as soon as I notified them. They did everything to correct the problem and fix it. My footplate now has the heel cut out and is wide enough to fit all widths of shoes. Also my pink spinergy wheels add the perfect touch to my chair. My chair is now complete and is on point as to what I had ordered. I am very happy with my new chair and the fit is perfect. I truly recommend this model if you feel it is right for you.

Thanks kindly,
    Steph Sablan Attachment 46663