Thread: JustADollarPlease.org

JustADollarPlease.org

I am happy to provide the following information on the JustADollarPlease.org fund from the Rutgers University Division of Life Sciences business office. The account was opened in fiscal year 08-09. Since then close to $400,000 has been donated to support the clinical trials in the U.S. Minimal funds were expended before 2012. In fiscal year 12 in preparation for the start of these trials, just over $200,000 has been allocated for clinical trial preparation including recruiting clinical trial centers, meetings with principal investigators and clinicians, development of and consensus on clinical trial protocols, preparation of required documents, pre-IND discussion with the FDA, and verification of GMP cell handling facilities and procedures. In addition, since the inception of the fund, $29,000+ in gift assessment fees has been charged to this account. Please let me know if you have any questions - I'll be glad to find the answers for you. We are very grateful for your help in getting the clinical trials underway close to home.

Hi Patricia,
    This is very helpful - thanks. What are "gift assessment fees?" I am not familair with this term.
    Cynthia

Quote Originally Posted by cynthiat View Post
    Hi Patricia,
    This is very helpful - thanks. What are "gift assessment fees?" I am not familair with this term.
    Cynthia
    Sounds like skimming.

A gift assessment fee refers to the money taken off the top to cover the cost of fundraising activities. JustADollarPlease takes about 7% for these activities, which is remarkably low for a nonprofit. Most take in the neighborhood of 30-40%, and many take significantly more.

We are part of Rutgers University and the 501(c)(3) is held by the Rutgers University Foundation. The Foundation is responsible for processing all donations, filing tax forms, insuring that all legal papers are in order, etc. The gift assessment fee goes to the Foundation to cover these responsibilities. Thanks for asking.

Sounds reasonable as long as it's not diverted to other programs.