Thread: How to cook the perfect chip?

How to cook the perfect chip?

By chip i mean English chips - similar to American french fries but fatter and tasting of potatoes.

How does everyone do it?

I usually parboil them for ten minutes, drain of all the water, let them cook and then deep fry them until they just start to go golden and then instantly take em out and shake em with salt.
    Hi there, I'm only 20 years old but I'm creating my own disabled driving organization - it's growing rapidly everyday and currently features hundreds of pages of useful content you can't find elsewhere.

Visit my hand controls website for more information.

Or you can visit my website's blog where I outline what's happening and my plans for the future.

You can also see my story here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Bell View Post
    By chip i mean English chips - similar to American french fries but fatter and tasting of potatoes.

How does everyone do it?

I usually parboil them for ten minutes, drain of all the water, let them cook and then deep fry them until they just start to go golden and then instantly take em out and shake em with salt.
    I've never made them but I have had them in diners. Kind of greasy but I did like them.
    A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

I often boil potatoes with a little salt. After that, I put them into cold water and fry them. I feel that they are crisper

I deep fry them until they look done. Take them out, drain on a paper towel for a few minutes then put them back in again for a couple minutes. Puffs them up.

The two fry method is the way to go. First consideration is the oil used. Peanut is best as it can take very high temps. If allergies are an issue,(taste is not an issue, they will not taste like peanuts), use canola or corn oil. First fry should be at a lower temp (325 works well) to cook the insides. They should not brown at this stage. Drain well. Work in batches to control the temp. Temperature control is essential. For second fry, turn up the heat to 375 and fry to desired brownness. Drain and season.

To get the par-boiled potatoes to get really crisp, heat oil to 375 and LIGHTLY dust the DRY pieces in corn starch. Shake off all excess and fry to desired color. The corn starch will draw out the excess moisture and create almost a crust on the potatoes.

The key to crisp chips that are not greasy is heat management. If you do it stove top, use a deep pan, but only fill 1/3 with oil to allow for bubble up, and a candy thermometer. If using a fryer, batches will be even smaller. Do not let the temp drop or you will get soggy chips. Temp too high and they will not be cooked inside. It takes practice but is more than work it.

Go nuts with the seasonings. Traditional S & P are great but so is chili/cumin, garlic/lemon/parm cheese, lemon/pepper, rosemary-you get the idea. One production can make several flavors. --eak
    Elizabeth A. Kephart, PHR
    mom/caregiver to Ryan-age 21
    Incomplete C-2 with TBI since 3/09