Thread: External drive problem

Blog Entries

External drive problem

My external drive is no longer working. Previously it was never visible unless I unplugged and replugged it while my computer was on. Now even that does not work, and I just can't access it. And when I plug it in, it makes a beeping noise. It's been going on for at least a couple of weeks , but not identify the sources of the beep until today.

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    My external drive is no longer working. Previously it was never visible unless I unplugged and replugged it while my computer was on. Now even that does not work, and I just can't access it. And when I plug it in, it makes a beeping noise. It's been going on for at least a couple of weeks , but not identify the sources of the beep until today.
    are you connected to the internet when pluging it in?

usually (if windows) a icon will come on in the bottom right of the screen and you can click on it and it shows the progress on adding new hardware

and maybe the drive finally failed, do you have another computer to plug it into and test?
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

What brand is your drive? I had a Seagate external a few years back that did the same thing. Returned it for another one and after a few days it started doing the same. So, I now have a Western Digital 250GB external, and have no problems with it.

If your computer is still working as before and it's the external that is not working I would test the external on another computer.

Blog Entries
    Thanks. I Don't know how I failed to think of that, but I will test it at work. Does anyone have any ideas about the beeping noise?

Ae you using the original cable? Many older drives came with a cable with dual usb plug at the computer end (only one is data) so they can draw more than 500ma from the machine. I have an older Maxtor external that will make kind of a beeping noise and fail to load if it isn't getting enough power. Happens with some cables even though they will work with other devices.

Blog Entries
    I don't really remember, but this drive has been nothing but a nightmare and they got it. It's a Passport, and the software that came with it deleted some files and otherwise made me crazy. Can you tell me what I should in the cable?