Thread: Inducing AD for physical advantage

Inducing AD for physical advantage

Anyone ever tried this?

It sounds fun.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-19325756

Would you break your own toe to win a Paralympic medal? Would you sit on a sharp object or strangulate your testicles? It's cheating, but a scientist who will be monitoring athletes at the Paralympic Games says a third of competitors with spinal injuries may be harming themselves to boost their performance.

I remember this from 30 years ago. Guys were putting a rubber band on their dicks or nuts to raise their blood pressure. I never was that desperate.

I saw that report on Yahoo today..... I'd gladly give them my pressure sore for their AD! haha
    Brian

Paralympics 2012: athletes warned about the dangers of self-harming to boost performance

''It is like doping and some people are prepared to (do it to) cheat,'' said the ParalympicsGB chef de mission Craig Hunter of the practice which involves extreme measures such as strangling their own testicles, breaking bones, stimulating muscles with electric shocks or blocking catheters.

''We run an education programme for athletes and our athletes are fully aware we do not encourage boosting in any way shape or form.''

The resulting pain from self-inflicted injuries boosts blood pressure, heart rate and adrenalin levels in athletes with spinal cord damage much the same way as doping practices, says Hunter.

The International Paralympic Committee has been aware of the practice – technically called induced autonomic dysreflexia – for nearly 20 years and have introduced blood pressure tests in the warm up areas before competition to try and stamp out the practice.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/oly...rformance.html

Yes, it does work. I have a neurogenic bladder and sometimes before I hit long hills in marathons on the handcycle I'd drink a little extra water to get ad from a full bladder, I noticed I had a turbo boost going up the hills and could ride a lot faster, it was actually pretty amazing, once I got up the hill I'd do a lift going down the hill and my bladder would empty into the leg bag and the a/d would be gone.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Quote Originally Posted by curt leatherbee View Post
    yes, it does work. I have a neurogenic bladder and sometimes before i hit long hills in marathons on the handcycle i'd drink a little extra water to get ad from a full bladder, i noticed i had a turbo boost going up the hills and could ride a lot faster, it was actually pretty amazing, once i got up the hill i'd do a lift going down the hill and my bladder would empty into the leg bag and the a/d would be gone.

cheater!!!!

Well I would have admitted it if I'd been finishing first, might end up like Lance Armstrong. Normally I finish around mid pac, so not 1st but not last either. Have not done this sort of thing for a long time either because I dunno if my older heart would put up with it at this point and I'm not going to risk it.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    Yes, it does work. I have a neurogenic bladder and sometimes before I hit long hills in marathons on the handcycle I'd drink a little extra water to get ad from a full bladder, I noticed I had a turbo boost going up the hills and could ride a lot faster, it was actually pretty amazing, once I got up the hill I'd do a lift going down the hill and my bladder would empty into the leg bag and the a/d would be gone.
    oh it works/helps. i wear an external cath training and racing and drink 70-100 oz of water with electrolytes and pee alot, evertytime i pee i gee mild ad, my hr goes up and the power goes up.

we are no different from ab athletes, you do what you can to get an edge. if the world is naive enough to think theres no doping and steroids in the paralympic athletes they are fools.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer