Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dental ins

dental ins

what do ppl do for dental ins? while working, i had it. now i don't as boeing retiree plan doesn't offer it. my son now needs a few thousand in dental work and i quit going due to cost. what do ppl do? i don't qualify for low income, but at this rate, my money is being depleted.

There isn't a stand alone dental plan out there that is worth the money you pay for it. If he needs that much work you will have to find a way to finance it. Be careful of the dentist offered plans (do some research there) as they are often extremely costly interest rate wise and there have been some investigations into their business practices. You would be better off trying to get a loan through your bank or a finance company.

I have a son who needed braces and a four unit bridge (his front teeth got knocked out in a fall on the school playground) and other dental work and it cost a bloody fortune. He just went through another round of dental care that added up to more than 7000 dollars. We have very brittle teeth that like to break off even though they look good from the outside. We both take meds that cause dry mouth. You should have him checked for dry mouth when he gets looked at.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Have you talked to your dentist about your situation, he should be willing to work something out with you. Before I left my job, I had all my old fillings taken out and put new ones in, so I wouldn't have problems at least for awhile. I see him when I've chipped my tooth, he's a great cosmetic dentist. Even though I have another dentist, he always offers me a discounted deal to come back to him. He also told me about this plan under CareCredit, its not too bad of deal (I think) if you need a lot of dental work. Maybe Skippy will chime in, if she's heard anything about this one.

www.CareCredit.com
    A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    There are dental savings plans out there. I have good teeth and one check-up and cleaning costs $120. I got a dental savings plan online and paid like 75/yr$ for it. Cost me $20 for a checkup/cleaning at a provider within the plan every 6 months.

Yeah, this is a problem with Medicare insurance. No dental.

Some retiree insurance plans have it, but many do not.

Many dentists will give you a cash discount (ex. 25% off) or a deal if you need to finance.

No easy solutions. Don't know how old your son is, or what the work he needs is, but if not urgent maybe wait until he gets a job and has his own coverage? My father has some less urgent dental work that we have been delaying until next year, when his insurance kicks in. But even his insurance will have a cap of $1500 and requires a significant monthly payment.

Dental college? I did it once, worked out ok. I did get a dry socket, but Im told It was my failure to clot properly at the time. I paid a hundred instead of five.

Those so called dental discount plans are usually a rip-off too. The discount only applies if you pay cash at the time of service. You can negotiate a discount if you pay cash most of the time eliminating the middleman and obtaining the discount yourself. That is what my son did. It was still expensive, but all of the work was pre-approved by me (I was a dental technician for many years) and only the necessary work was done.

The only problem with dental credit plans is the interest rate that you pay and the honesty of the company.

Carecredit scam complaint:
    http://carecredit.pissedconsumer.com...429119311.html

http://www.ripoffreport.com/dental-s...it-g-2q65c.htm

http://jillianbarclay.hubpages.com/h...g-Investigated

I cannot imagine any others are any better.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Agree completely with Skippy. I have dental insurance through my husband, but it's worthless for anything but the most routine stuff - cleanings, yearly x-rays, the occasional filling. I recently needed to have extensive repairs to work done 30 years ago, and we had to take out a loan to do it. My dentist offered me a 10% discount if I paid cash, which of course I could not do for such a big job.

(Edited to add: CareCredit is "offered" by many of the dentists where I live, and is even worse than paying interest on a bank loan.)
    Last edited by Bonnette; 08-23-2012 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Addition

Cass, I very literally have spent tens of thousands over the years. Being without dental insurance sucks.

dental insurance pays about half
    cwo