Thread: Another sore story, Wound Care ???

Another sore story, Wound Care ???

After 32 yrs I got a pressure sore on my back about L1. I am quite tall and bad c5 posture did the trick. I went on vacation and drove without weight shift for a long period of time. I can lean forward and get total weight off spot. I am going to wound care and they told me II or III, but until wound bed gets dead tissue off they are hesitant to stage. They are using a product I have not seen mentioned on this site and wonder out loud if they know what they are doing. They are using Cutinova Hydro, comes in sheets you cut and covers the wound, change every 2 days. Has anyone used this product? I've just went for 3rd visit and not much change. The WC lady was going to call my doctor for some topical enzyme gel in addition, but I am at a loss..Thanks, Jim

Did you switch your back on the chair? What do you sleep on if you sleep on your back?

Santyl is a good debrider, though I have no experience with it. I understand that it is expensive.
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

From the product description, Cutinova Hydro is a hydrocolloid dressing similar to Duoderm Ultra Thin. It provides a moist, but not wet, healing environment by absorbing drainage and protecting the wound against bacteria, dirt, etc. I've had great success using Duoderm to heal small third degree burns, shearing, and other wounds; the rate of healing borders on miraculous when a small amount of VVF hydrogel is applied under the hydocolloid dressing.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

[QUOTE=lynnifer;1571407]Did you switch your back on the chair? What do you sleep on if you sleep on your back?

I went to local rehab and we made changes to back cushion (roho) to prevent bottoming out and had it mapped. I show little pressure, but showed little without changes. Mapping helps, but does not tell whole story on skin. The bed is a bit of a problem. I use a sleep/number type bed and I sleep on my back. I've tried sleeping on sides, but my shoulders start hurting until I cant take the pain. When I go on stomach, I turn head to breath, but feels like someone is sitting of my shoulders forcing my head down. I get most pressure relief when leaning forward in chair on a table with pillow. I am looking at new pressure relieving bed, but it can get confusing to what will work and you cant return if it does not work. They are quite expensive. I've searched this site and everyone is different. I am on medicare. I feel so defeated with this sore. After 32 yrs I thought I had seen it all, but my mental state is starting to take it's toll.

If it has necrotic tissue on wound bed then need enzymatic debrider. If they can't see the wound bed- what color is the wound? they really can't stage and you don't know how deep it is. since you know you didn't do weight shifts/releases for a while and we now think these areas start not from the outside but the inside (i.e. bony prominences) or both then you relaly don't know what you have. Stay off of it. Drink water, high protein, vitamins C.E,D etc-- one good multivitamin advised with minerals.
    Recommendations for all : Per the latest guidelines.
    Weight shifts every 15 minutes and weight releases every hour or two for 1-2 minutes for prevention.No matter what cushion you use!!!
    CWO

Quote Originally Posted by quad80 View Post
    The bed is a bit of a problem. I use a sleep/number type bed and I sleep on my back. I've tried sleeping on sides, but my shoulders start hurting until I cant take the pain. When I go on stomach, I turn head to breath, but feels like someone is sitting of my shoulders forcing my head down.
    I know the nurses here recommend a low air loss mattress (yes, they're expensive) but I've purchased alternating air mattress overlays on ebay for less than $100 - machine and pad. They are comfy as hell (either side or back or twisted like I sleep with my head one way and my feet facing the other) and relieve pressure ... a little awkward to get on or off but I got used to it. Short term financially feasible solution? Something to try and you could easily unload it back on ebay if it doesn't work for you (but I think it will).

As long as you sleep on your back, it won't heal.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    I know the nurses here recommend a low air loss mattress (yes, they're expensive) but I've purchased alternating air mattress overlays on ebay for less than $100 - machine and pad.
    Thanks for the info, it all helps. I noticed on some of the higher end bed models of true LAL/AP, they say prevention and treatment up to stage IV. What does the treatment aspect mean? Is all the pressure off-loaded from mattress? What about rotation? Seems a little confusing.

I put a pillow under my low back to keep pressure off,then my shoulders can lay flat,if that makes sense??
    Nelson.

Quote Originally Posted by quad80 View Post
    I noticed on some of the higher end bed models of true LAL/AP, they say prevention and treatment up to stage IV. What does the treatment aspect mean? Is all the pressure off-loaded from mattress? What about rotation? Seems a little confusing.
    I can't speak for the higher end ones, though I used one at age 15 to heal a coccyx wound after flap surgery in hospital. I wouldn't lay on a wound, EVEN if I were using an overlay or preventative mattress. To me, it's just to protect your boney skin areas from breaking down as well.

For my left foot, I use the overlay as well as a cotton poofy bootie type thing because it's extra sensitive. It's very sexy .. NOT! lol

thanks quad24, lynniffer for the info... I will search a few bed models on CC and see what CC folks have say.

Lynnifer, I enjoyed you PS quote from Christopher Hitchens, I need to look that book up and read.