Thread: With all the talk about combination therapys wouldn't it make sense.......

With all the talk about combination therapys wouldn't it make sense.......

With all the talk about combination therapys wouldn't it make sense to not leave exploration of any possibilities out? We have waited long enough and have had many debates-It's time for the researchers to decide what is best. We should not be thinking of making a deal with politicians or right wing groups. It's not good enough to feel that "well if we can't pursue ESC studies here in the USA at least there might be a breakthru elsewhere." If the USA takes on the roll of being policeman to the world's dictatorships, I would think that solving health issues would also be on their list. Offshore research is not enough. Also is it moral if some conditions could be helped by ASC but others would need ESC to accept a deal that would offer ASC funding but not ESC funding?

Originally posted by BigB:

Also is it moral if some conditions could be helped by ASC but others would need ESC to accept a deal that would offer ASC funding but not ESC funding?
    Great point Bob!

Besides we're supposed to be the land of innovation, a world leader. As Kerry said, even the morality of heart transplants was once questioned.

This debate about ASC vs ESC will all seem silly, pretty soon. It's downright embarrassing that this great country cannot follow the wishes of 3/4 of it's population.

"We have lost so much time already" - Nancy Reagan

[This message was edited by Faye on 07-03-04 at 04:19 PM.]

bigbob, it is important to emphasize that the rationale for ESC research is much more than the possibility that it might be useful to some people. ESC research will make ASC treatments better. It will be important for understanding how and why ESC's differentiate, continue to grow indefinitely, and how they regulate themselves or respond to their environment. A deeper understanding of these mechanisms will lead to better therapies of developmental disorders, cancer, aging, and many other important areas of biology. Stopping this important area of biological research is similar to telling physicists that they cannot study subatomic particles. Wise.

Although I got it right when I said "We have waited long enough and have had many debates-It's time for the researchers to decide what is best" you do make a stronger case than a layman like me. I hope someone of your caliber will be pushing for ESC at the Brownback hearing.