Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: parent's are from earth, teenager's are from mars

I saw Jake squirt ranch dressing in his mouth too. I just chalked it up to idiosyncracy. But come to find out it was a labor saving device! LOL, gotta love 'em!

All teenagers are from another planet. Boys are the worst. I only say that because I raised boys. They go from normal humans to slugs. It lasted for my first from about age 14 to 19. My youngest is a C-2 so in some ways he is different by definition.

With that said, Ry (21 yrs old C-2 incomplete 3 years post) has absolutely no desire to contribute to the household. he is capable of much more that he is wiling to do (did I mention that he is the definition of incomplete and can do so much).

From my experience, boys turn to slugs. Part of this is because they are going through extreme growth-remember the infancy stage where they only ate, slept, an pooped? It is not much different for teenaged boys. They grow so fast and there are so many demands from school, social activities etc, that the family gets what energy is left and that is not much.

In addition to a balanced diet and more sleep that they think they require, teenaged boys need time to become human again.--eak
    Elizabeth A. Kephart, PHR
    mom/caregiver to Ryan-age 21
    Incomplete C-2 with TBI since 3/09

My older brother and I had to assume a seemingly insurmountable amount of responsibility at a young age, and therefore grew up early and fast, but my little brother didn't have the same experience, being 11 years younger. All of these stories sound like my younger brother who had the freedom of a childhood. I know that the body-car-washing and the laundry-dance seem ridiculous and frivolous but I think that they're really just continued experiments in learning and a sign that your kids feel free enough to try and creatively think and solve the problems they're coming across and a compliment to your parenting.

I mean, think about it... you didn't shut down the bathtub-laundry action, so he kept calling you back in for your input, (Dad, dad, dad!) and you guys will laugh about it forever.

Either that or your boy smokes a LOT of herb.
    An administrator made me remove my signature.

Blog post from 2008 re teenage boys

The motherhood gig has some perks. I was fortunate enough to deliver a boy that can almost always make me laugh, and I love me some laughter. He has been known to fetch a cup of coffee or 3,000, since I last blistered my legs trying to ferry hot beverages in a wheelchair. Rarely will you find me unloading the dishwasher, and often will you find him letting the dog out to pee. I have to say, though, the downsides are LEGION.

My current, and frequent, complaint is the expense. I did read the statistics, and I had resigned myself to parenthood costing a bit. Current estimates put the price at a quarter-mil, getting the little suckers to age 17. What they don't tell you is-That's just what it costs to get them past the sweet stage!

My kid crashed his car a few months ago, going a bit too fast on an unexpectedly icy highway. Yes, I know we were lucky nobody was injured. I know way too many men in wheelchairs because of a poor decision made while driving at 18. I've met far too many of their mothers, and I've met the ones that would have settled for that as a happy ending, too. It was a sweet ride we'd bought him though, a Chevy Cavalier that met all of my requirements...Good gas mileage, not too fast, multiple airbags. It also met the bare minimum of his...4 wheels that would take him away from his mother. We had full coverage insurance on that car, which guaranteed the funds to replace it. Apparently all the decent cars in our price range have been purchased for graduation gifts for this year's crop of kids, because I'm sure not finding one. I refuse to grant him a vehicle upgrade for wrecking the last one, but I am paying for that resolution.

He wants to drive my van.

As I may have mentioned, I have special needs. There is one vehicle on earth that meets them, a sexy Dodge Grand Caravan minivan. (Hah! Oxymoron, get it? There are no sexy minivans!) I am quite pleased to be its owner. The back seats fold into the floorboard, which means I can roll my wheelchair up into the place behind the driver's seat. It has an electric sliding door for me to easily access that spot. It has a left-foot accelerator. It has little niceties like electric windows-Oh, so nice on the turnpike!-and a CD player. I've been known to carry my family, my wheelchair, and various assorted accoutrement such as surfboards, fishing poles and 4-wheeler ATV's in this all-around vehicle, as well.

See what I mean? It's a very special van for a very special lady!

An hour ago, the boy brought that van back from an outing, an hour and a half late. Undaunted, he, his friend and I loaded back into it. We were off to support my stepson while he played with his new band, Severed By Sin, at some stinky nightclub. Hopes were high! I was to take pictures, the boy was to initiate the moshing. I backed out of the driveway, then proceeded forward 100 feet or so. I slammed on the brakes and screamed "What is that sound?" "Oh, it's just the brake pads." "No, maybe it used to be brake pads. That sound is what is left when the brake pads are gone, it is what is behind the brake pads, and it is rotor on metal or some shit!"

Swear to God, it was an embarrassing drive back to the house. Every neighbor on the block was outdoors washing their safe, silent, unsullied vehicle. We crawled along accompanied by a metal-on-metal squeal that was highlighted with clanks. It amazes me that those boys were out in that van, merrily clanking away. They just turned up the radio to drown out the racket. I bet they turned heads! Cruising so cool in a filthy, handicapped-adapted minivan, 2 good-looking blond young suburban men ajammin' to the hip-hop:

"I got a nine-millimetuh
    Because of the law, I have to conceal it
    Don't fuck around, you gon' make me reveal it
    I got a nine-millimetuh."

Yeah, you just know THAT was convincing. Hard core. Gangsta style. Thug life. That's my boy.

Again, I'm grateful nobody was injured. The brakes didn't fail, nobody was T-boned by an out-of-control minivan careening through a stoplight. But dammit boy, I need a new computer and now I have to get new brakes instead. Something tells me the price of repairs went way up because you just had to drive an extra hundred miles. The teenage girls of Yukon, Oklahoma could not be deprived of your presence for one day, and my van pays for their joy. Somehow, Mom always pays the price, doesn't she? (The answer is: Yes, because Mom is the only parent stupid enough to loan you her vehicle.)

Tomorrow we go car-shopping in earnest. Wish us luck!

Quote Originally Posted by feisty View Post
    My older brother and I had to assume a seemingly insurmountable amount of responsibility at a young age, and therefore grew up early and fast, but my little brother didn't have the same experience, being 11 years younger. All of these stories sound like my younger brother who had the freedom of a childhood. I know that the body-car-washing and the laundry-dance seem ridiculous and frivolous but I think that they're really just continued experiments in learning and a sign that your kids feel free enough to try and creatively think and solve the problems they're coming across and a compliment to your parenting.

I mean, think about it... you didn't shut down the bathtub-laundry action, so he kept calling you back in for your input, (Dad, dad, dad!) and you guys will laugh about it forever.

Either that or your boy smokes a LOT of herb.
    Ummm about the herb thing. He does smoke now and then, but even as a very youngester he did very od things. My son as aspergers. So i let him experiment and learn things what ever way he needs to. On the upside we go some very very exciting news josh my son will be graduating high school this spring. I was complimented on how creative he is. . Witch makes me the proudest parent.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by randomryan007 View Post
    Ummm about the herb thing. He does smoke now and then, but even as a very youngester he did very od things. My son as aspergers. So i let him experiment and learn things what ever way he needs to. On the upside we go some very very exciting news josh my son will be graduating high school this spring. I was complimented on how creative he is. . Witch makes me the proudest parent.
    As you should be! Congratulations!!!

Quote Originally Posted by randomryan007 View Post
    Witch makes me the proudest parent.
    I think you should be.

Thanks guys. I suppose his creativeness. Is paying off. So now him and i are looking into universities. Major in computer sciences minor in sound and lighting. My boys on the right track, maybe his herb smoking is helping. Lol. I don't know but hey i am glad he's really stepping it up and looking into his future and going after his passions. I can honestly say that the next time someone asks me whats wrong with my kid, i will look at the and say nothing he's just creative!