Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: parent's are from earth, teenager's are from mars

parent's are from earth, teenager's are from mars

I have an 18 yr old son, 19 yr old stepdaughter and a 21 yr old . Now i must say even thou i went through my teenage yrs. I still don't understand them. My 18 yr old son is very high matiance. Its all about what the other kids are doing. And omg can he debate. And he goes on and on i just want to pull his batteries. Or hit least push the kill switch. And getting him to help is like pulling teeth. Sometimes its so bad we lock the door behind him. Needless to say i was wondering if anyone else has teenagers from another planet.

Just the other day i rolled in on him shoving lettace in his mouth and opening the ranch dressing as her poured it into his mouth. When asked what he was doing he boldly looked at me and said having salad. Then i asked why didn't you get a bowl and make you a salad. Well he looked at me and said well that would be to much work. I asked how so he said firat off i hve to get the bowl then i have to rip up some letace and cut up tomato and the put ranch and cheese get a fork. Sit down to eat it. Then when i am done i have to wash the bowl out and the fork and put in in this dish washer. Then he went on about how he could rip off lettuce bite his tomato put some cheese shove the lettace in his mouth poor some ranch and he doest hve to dirty a single thing. Really?? Is this what i have tought him to do? I think not!

And my favorite one of all time..... he goes in to take a shower with some clothes. Ok kool he's cleaning himself. Wrong!!!! I her the tub filling ok he's taking a bath. Again wrong!!!! I knock on the door he says come in. I go in and to my suprise there sits the tide and downy. Here he is in just his boxers with water in the tub and his closthes in the tub. Walking and stomping them. Once again i ask him what he's doing and he boldly looks at me and says laundry! Me i say really? Don't we have a washer and dryer? Him well yeah! Me well why aren't you using it. Him well you see. Me yeah i see. Him i thought ince it was 2 paurs of pants ,6 pair of socks, 4 shirts and 5 boxers . And it wasn't enough for a complete load. I would wash them this way. All the mean while he is slooshing water walking on his clothes picking the up tossing them around de stomping on them. And i don't know what else. So i leave shaking my head. Next thing i know 15 minutes later hes calling me back in DAD, DAD ,, DAD!!! Me what? Him you think i can rinse them yet? Me ummmm i donno are they clean. Him i think so! Me well rinse them. Him ok but if they aren't clean its your fault. Me really? How so? Well you said i could rinse them. So he drains the tub fills it back up and starts his laundry dance again. Again dad,dad, dad! Me what? I rinsed them do you think i can do softener? Me yeah i guess, drains the tub fills it back up dumps softener in. I deside i better stay and watch him. So here he is in his boxers doing him laundry dance. He looks at me a says this is hard work! Me really? Him yeah i feel sorry for anyone who washes clothes like this . Me well think about this th de next time you dirty 5 outfits in one day! Him nah i'll just use the washer next time. Me hmmmm i don't think so. Him why not? Because your not in a fashion show and its stupid to wear so many clothes in one day! Him oh!
    Next day i dig out a big plasic tub and a washboard and give them to him he looks at me like i am out of my mind. And i say since you had oh so much fun washing you closhes last nite i thought this would help. Him your not serious are you? Me yupp... dead serious. And rolled away. Should have seen the look on his face.
    Last edited by randomryan007; 08-21-2012 at 03:26 AM.

I hope this has given you all a good laugh.

Ok another true story. So i send my son out to wash the suv. Ok kool right? I should know him by now! 15 minutes go by and i figure id go check on him. I roll out into my partly built Arizona room (thats a different story) and watch him. Here is that kid out in my drive way all soaked and soapy. I watch him he backs up and starts rubbing himself with soap all over my truck. (My truk has officaly been violated) up down round and round. Side to side rubbing himself. I yell WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING? My son well i am washing your truck/suv. Me do you know how crazy you look? Him nope. And starts rubbing himself all over my truck again. Me hey hey stop raping my truck. Him its only rape when your trucks alarm goes off! Me stop it your acting crazzy and our nieghbors are going to call for help. Him really? I am just wasing it. Me dude wash it with the sponge or rag. Him i don't belive in dirtying more than i have to.
    Really? Is there something wrong with him? Or is it just me?

sorry your son is an idiot....big time

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by randomryan007 View Post
    Ok another true story. So i send my son out to wash the suv. Ok kool right? I should know him by now! 15 minutes go by and i figure id go check on him. I roll out into my partly built Arizona room (thats a different story) and watch him. Here is that kid out in my drive way all soaked and soapy. I watch him he backs up and starts rubbing himself with soap all over my truck. (My truk has officaly been violated) up down round and round. Side to side rubbing himself. I yell WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING? My son well i am washing your truck/suv. Me do you know how crazy you look? Him nope. And starts rubbing himself all over my truck again. Me hey hey stop raping my truck. Him its only rape when your trucks alarm goes off! Me stop it your acting crazzy and our nieghbors are going to call for help. Him really? I am just wasing it. Me dude wash it with the sponge or rag. Him i don't belive in dirtying more than i have to.
    Really? Is there something wrong with him? Or is it just me?
    I have a twenty year old son who makes a sandwich while standing at the fridge. When he's done I'll go to the fridge and there will be an empty ham package an unsealed cheese and balogna package an open loaf of bread in the fridge and the dogs will be sniffing around for the spoils on the floor. I have had to toss mayonnaise twice because he left the top off. He has a keyed lock on his bedroom door to keep my wife from yelling at him about his mess. We have had to buy new towels twice in the last 6 months just to find out that he had over twenty on his bedroom floor.

He just bought a foreclosed house down the street so Pwe thought there might be a light at the end of the tunnel, he plans on flipping it! I told him before he sells it I want to do a tool inventory on my garage. We look at baby pictures of him every weekend to remind ourselves why we still love him.

Bet everyone gets a good laugh we they read these stories! My son tried to put a keyed lock on his door. Didn't work out so well for him. I called my nephew up. He broke in and i had him remove the door. Lol

According to an article in the Wall Street Journal today (8/21/2012), Delayed Development: 20-Somethings Blame the Brain, recent research suggests, "The brain, once thought to be fully grown after puberty, is still evolving into its adult shape well into a person's third decade. Scientists, through new techniques of brain imaging are defining a new developmental life stage, first coined in the year 2000 by Jeffrey Arnett, a professor of psychology at Clark University in Worcester, MA, called "emerging adulthood, age 18 to 29.

Jay Giedd, a neuroscientist at the National Institute of Mental Health who has been conducting brain imaging studies on this age group says "the fact that the brain stay unfinished during early adulthood is the best thing that ever happened to humans because it allows us to adapt to changing environments." Evidently, the part of the brain responsible for planning prioritizing and controlling impulses, the prefrontal cortex is one of the last parts of the brain to mature.

NL and I don't have children of our own, but we do have a few nieces and nephews, who over the years have thrown us and their parents for more than a few loops. I came across an interesting book entitled Not Quite Adult: Why 20-somethings are choosing a slower path to adulthood and why it is good for everyone, by Richard Settersten and Barbara Ray. It is an interesting read. http://www.notquiteadults.com/

Looking back on our own lives, would we have made different choices and decisions about our lives if we had not chosen a career path, gotten married, and had children as early as many of us did? How would our lives be different today if our parents had given us the time to experiment and explore opportunities until well into our 20s?

That said, goofy behavior from our younglings will always be perceived as goofy behavior. I'm not saying parents shouldn't demand and expect development of standards of behavior and hygiene, critical thinking, honesty, and reliability, but these new views of development may help us understand and tolerate what our kids are going through in these tough times.

All the best,
    GJ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by randomryan007 View Post
    Bet everyone gets a good laugh we they read these stories! My son tried to put a keyed lock on his door. Didn't work out so well for him. I called my nephew up. He broke in and i had him remove the door. Lol
    I allowed the lock to keep my wife from choking him while she sleepwalks. Wink Wink! He is getting better. He also is quite a social director for my 18 year old son who has a SCI. He works 60 hours a week and comes home from work looking like a breaker boy from the coal mines. We also share the house with two German Shepherds. Nobody makes a vacuum that can stand up to the abuse we put ours through.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    According to an article in the Wall Street Journal today (8/21/2012), Delayed Development: 20-Somethings Blame the Brain, recent research suggests, "The brain, once thought to be fully grown after puberty, is still evolving into its adult shape well into a person's third decade. Scientists, through new techniques of brain imaging are defining a new developmental life stage, first coined in the year 2000 by Jeffrey Arnett, a professor of psychology at Clark University in Worcester, MA, called "emerging adulthood, age 18 to 29.

Jay Giedd, a neuroscientist at the National Institute of Mental Health who has been conducting brain imaging studies on this age group says "the fact that the brain stay unfinished during early adulthood is the best thing that ever happened to humans because it allows us to adapt to changing environments." Evidently, the part of the brain responsible for planning prioritizing and controlling impulses, the prefrontal cortex is one of the last parts of the brain to mature.

NL and I don't have children of our own, but we do have a few nieces and nephews, who over the years have thrown us and their parents for more than a few loops. I came across an interesting book entitled Not Quite Adult: Why 20-somethings are choosing a slower path to adulthood and why it is good for everyone, by Richard Settersten and Barbara Ray. It is an interesting read. http://www.notquiteadults.com/

Looking back on our own lives, would we have made different choices and decisions about our lives if we had not chosen a career path, gotten married, and had children as early as many of us did? How would our lives be different today if our parents had given us the time to experiment and explore opportunities until well into our 20s?

That said, goofy behavior from our younglings will always be perceived as goofy behavior. I'm not saying parents shouldn't demand and expect development of standards of behavior and hygiene, critical thinking, honesty, and reliability, but these new views of development may help us understand and tolerate what our kids are going through in these tough times.

All the best,
    GJ
    You're right, our parents didn't give us a choice. My mother didn't have to worry about my room being a mess because my Dad threw me out when I graduated from high school. If I lived at home into my twenties I don't think they could have removed me with heavy equipment though.