Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: service dogs/ companion dogs

service dogs/ companion dogs

I have a few questions. I have a companion/ service dog she's almost 2. Any way i spoiler her. Table scaps, dog cookies, toys, ect. My question is is it wrong for me to let her sleep with me and cuddle her, love on her and play with her? As i got her as a puppy and have been doing this all her life. The reason i am asking is because one trainer literally yelled at me about all the love i give her. Now mind you i bought and paid for her and her training. And i don't feel all the love i give her is killing her. The main reason we got her is beause i have ptsd. And she's always with me when no ones around. Very protective of me.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section. I figured since she was a service animal that she would be concidered equipment. Thanks ry

as long as you still use the commands regularly she was taught then why not. love & companionship is great, table scraps and cheap dog cookies are not!!!!! my 12 year old border collie only gets broccoli, carrots or green beans from the table. Holistic dog food and "Blue Buffalo" or similar treats only. 12 years old and she acts and looks half her age.

Is it causing a problem for YOU? I mean, does she not obey you, or do the tasks she has been trained for. I would say that if she "works" ok, don;t worry about it. The dog/owner bond is a big thing. Health wise, watch the table scraps tho, no junk I mean. I always let my dog have meat scraps and veggies and such.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

She obeys me no one else thou. Well my fiance she does only certian comands thou. Tv table scaps she gets are meat, veggies, some fruit. My vet told me all this was ok and healthy. Also she get an ocassional popscile. Baths once a week. Once a month she gets oat meal and eggs for breakfast. She sleeps with me. Loves to go out and meet new people. Everyone says shes a great dog. Her vet loves her to pieces. Mind you she is only a 2 year old lab puppy. Most labs aren't fully tarned untill the are around 3 or 4 as i see it she's ahead of the game. I let her be a dog when i can. Witch is alot of the time. She comes when she's called and helps when she's asked. I didn't want a drone for my service/companion animal. I think she's a good match. And does whats asked of her. I donno what this trainers problem is. I think i should get a new one.

Our home was a a foster home for rescue Dobermans. Nearly 40 dogs passed through our home over the years of our service to the league. We had to break bad habits before the dogs could be adopted. You cannot spoil your dog with love, but you can ruin her, and even kill her, as you say, by doing what you are doing. I side with the trainer.

First, lay off the table food. It is very bad for a dog's teeth and overall health. The veggies BobMach mentions are good snacks. Our dogs also enjoyed cantalope and apples.

Second, sleeping in bed with you is a very bad idea. Dogs on furniture get very territorial over what they consider their space. We fostered one Dobe that was allowed on furniture and was turned in for her agressive behavior over her space. We worked hard to get her over that. I warned the person who adopted her to keep her off the furniture, or there would be trouble. Sure enough, a few weeks later I get a call that she took a nip at him when he attempted to remove her from the bed he had been sharing with her, until his girlfriend came for a visit. What a jerk!!! He had been warned.

I worry that you say she is "very protective" of you. A service dog, or even a pet, should look out for your well being, but "very protective" is not a good thing. It makes welcome guests in your home uncomfortable, and a service dog, especially, should have impeccable manners in the home and on the street.

What service is she trained for?

She's mainly trained for my aspergers and ptsd. Protective meaning she gets inbetween and grumbles at people to get them to step back. That what she was trained to do. Thats her job. She goes every 3 months to the vet for checm ups. And my very said she's healthy. I asked him over and over about th e table foods i was feeding her. And he said they were fine. I eat and she gets the meat fats or the vegies thats lset over. She also encourages me to eat. Witch has help put some weight on me. Sounds sad but i need the encouragement as i have celiac disease. And alergic to foods. She has only nipped at a kid one time. But thats because he jumped off the couch while she was sleeping on to her ribs. Broke 3 of her ribs. Not to be mean but i'd bite too. All my nieghbors know her and love her . I will reconcider your point.

Quote Originally Posted by randomryan007 View Post
    She obeys me no one else thou. Well my fiance she does only certian comands thou. Tv table scaps she gets are meat, veggies, some fruit. My vet told me all this was ok and healthy. Also she get an ocassional popscile. Baths once a week. Once a month she gets oat meal and eggs for breakfast. She sleeps with me. Loves to go out and meet new people. Everyone says shes a great dog. Her vet loves her to pieces. Mind you she is only a 2 year old lab puppy. Most labs aren't fully tarned untill the are around 3 or 4 as i see it she's ahead of the game. I let her be a dog when i can. Witch is alot of the time. She comes when she's called and helps when she's asked. I didn't want a drone for my service/companion animal. I think she's a good match. And does whats asked of her. I donno what this trainers problem is. I think i should get a new one.
    2 is no longer a puppy and most SD are fully trained by then. They will learn new commands for your particular living situation as you become more of a team.

Why do you need a trainer if you're training her?

Training is HARD work and can be frustrating for both human and canine.

I've never heard any trainer not say have your SD not in your bed. You put the dog where it is best/safe for both of you.

and working dogs are not Drones, they're working.
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

The trainer is for obedience and for her to take cues from me when i am having attacks from to much simulation. We were not sure of have to train her how to take cues. She's been trained to snaps of your fingers and claps as her cues. This was the first dog we had trained. I had an staffordshire that was a complete natrual when it can to me and my disabilitys. This lab is smart. But she was stubborn.

Rule of thumb. Think like a dog. Be the pack leader.
    You should be confident in your trainer.
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

What, exactly, did the trainer yell about? You stated it was about all the love you gave your dog, but I am guessing that it was not about too much love. Come on -- fess up. What caused the trainer, the professional, to yell at you?