Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What can I do to prevent shoulder damage?

What can I do to prevent shoulder damage?

I want to preserve my shoulders. I workout a lot and play basketball. Pice my shoulders after exercise and basketball. What else can I do?
    Never Give Up!

Click on the "Save our Shoulders" link below and it will take you to a manual on preserving shoulder function.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

ive found staying fit, very active and isolating those muscles when lifting is key. stronger they are the more the can take . keep your protein high and keep your testosterone levels up. joint supps help too
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    keep your protein high and keep your testosterone levels up.
    The lady-wheelers among us may grow beards, but dammit, they will have the best shoulders the world has ever seen! :P

Blog Entries
    Maintain good range of motion. Really strenuous exercise of any kind, will take a toll. fuentejps and I will disagree on this point I suspect.
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    ive found staying fit, very active and isolating those muscles when lifting is key.

Yes.

Take vitamins and make sure you eat balanced protien for amino acids (fish, eggs, soy, red meats). Stretch every day (which is what I'm really bad at).

Yes, STRENUOUS exercise will take its toll. There's a difference between normal, healthy activity and stressing your ligaments and joints. But even if you work out with heavy weights, proper form and diet will go a long way to keeping you fit.

Or you could stay inside all day. That'd really preserve your shoulders. But where's the fun in that?

penis

You need to work your opposing muscles. Also focus on rotator cuff and the little muscles surrounding.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

I agree with the above points, a good healthy diet, maintaining your range of motion, watching your weight and moderate exercise that maintains your strength for transfers. Our shoulders go through enough overuse with pushing chairs and transfers you don't want to push your limits with over exercise. You need to watch your transfers especially in and out of cars, pulling your chair in and out. This does a number on your shoulders over time! I made the switch to a van with a 6 way power seat and it is the best thing I ever did to save my shoulders.

Make sure your hands and forearms are strong... Helps takes strain off shoulders during exercise and transfers

Focus on strengthening the opposing muscles as well as postural muscles (back extensors, scapular stabilizers i.e. rhomboids,subscapularus, etc.)

Eric Harness, CSCS
    Founder/President
    Neuro Ex, Inc
    Adaptive Performance and Neuro Recovery