Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How common is Dysreflexia ?

Hello Sue, Hope you are haveing a nice labor day........ I been seeing a c rectal dr for around 6 month he dont know much about T M or S C I but he sent me for all kinds of tests cause i thought i just had bad constipation. then he talked to some doctors on my condition and when i went in a couple of months ago he proscribed a nitro compound for me and it worked. i use a qtip put this compound on and relaxes my bowel what a differance. i got my bowel back now. but if i get nervous over something it comes back like if driving in traffic in rain or something

Thankyou so much Sue your knowlege is appricated. i would of never thought of morphine sup. if this compound stops working for me i will let him know. i figured there had to be something because when i didnt have feeling there i did not know until i got feeling back it was horribal someone else had to had the same problem.

Hello everyone, i was wondering if anyone every heard of peritoneocele. i got these real bad spasms and the worst pain i ever had in my rectum, i was following posts on ad cause sometimes pain unbearable. this is my 2nd colon rectal dr. and said it could be caused by peritoneocele, i can go along a month with bowels working no suposotorys just 1\4 mirilax every other day and then it happens pure hell. i have valium on hand. thankyou

I am not sure what your question is. Sorry.
    CKF

Hello CKF, my question is did anyone here of perineocele. thats what tests show i have that causes me the worst pain ever in my rectum, to the point of allmost passing out. thats why i thought it could cause AD. i go along bowels fine thought they were comming back from my TM. then a couple of weeks or even as longas a month. it happens feels like stool is stuck and the pain. dr wants me to go to pelvic floor therapy. please is there anything i can do. thnkyou

With spinal cord injuries autonomic dysreflexia is just one of the issues that have to be "managed" & dealt with.

As long as my bladder isn't full & can drain & things are okay with the bowels, i.e., I've been sticking to my general bowel program, then autonomic dysreflexia might cause temporary flushing, 'hot' feeling & discomfort (from elevated blood pressure) but doesn't become really serious. Actually...knock on wood, I haven't had to go to the ER or take nitrate b/c of autonomic dysreflexia.

Good luck to you & your husband.
    C4/5 incomplete, 17 years since injury

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” - Carlos Castaneda

"We live not alone but chained to a creature of a different kingdom: our body." - Marcel Proust

OK- here goes. I am not sure of your level of injury, so if your injury is above T6 (the cervical region or upper throacic region) of your spinal cord, you are prone to having dysreflexia. A perinocele could cause AD although I have not personally had any patients have this problem.

I would recommend exactly what your doc did - try the pelvic exercises. The other alaternative is surgery, which is rather major.

I am sure this is painful for you. You may ask your doctor if instillig a small amount of lidocaine jelly into the rectum might be helpful. It would not only relieve the pain but also help to prevent AD.

CKF

Thankyou CKF, i am at T11 so i could be safe from AD. The pain like i said is bad, this is my 2nd colon rectal dr. iam glad he ordered tests to find it. the first dr thought i had fisures. i will ask about lidocaine hopefully ican get something when i get another attack. my therapy starts in june. and if it dont work surgery, he said and this lehigh vally hospital a pretty big hospital in pa. dont know who does this surgery o boy.

Lehigh Valley is a pretty good place. I have been impressed with the care there.
    Keep us posted and good luck!
    CKF

I wasn't suggesting the morphine suppositories for AD or bowel programs. I understood your pain was related to TM and first heard about morphine suppositories in kids who had severe rectal pain after spinal taps. These kids had leukemia and children often get rectal pain rather than huge head aches after lumbar punctures.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.