Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chin throttle for Quadriplegics (or other people with their hands full..?)

Quote Originally Posted by zillazangel View Post
    Ah bummer, he doesn't. Oh well!

Ami, there is always the Varna Tandom cycle if you are willing to do some pedaling.

http://bike-on.com/product/varna-tan...dcycle-559.htm
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Quote Originally Posted by MarkB701 View Post
    So does Chad have a handcycle at the moment? Perhaps send me a pm and so I could understand better what his situation it. I would love to get him riding if it were safe to do so....

And thanks for the order John/JMS we are getting it put together for you.....

And thanks for the offer of putting it together for him Pat.
    He has a hand cycle that is powered, in that it does all the work for him. But its just a desktop one, not a real bike. He has zero arm movement.
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    Ami, there is always the Varna Tandom cycle if you are willing to do some pedaling.

http://bike-on.com/product/varna-tan...dcycle-559.htm

That's a great looking bike. You could swap that front wheel for an electric hub motor wheel, which would cost less than a Power Pod. That way you could both go for some rides, get some exercise, and you would not be killing yourself to cycle the weight of 2 adults and a heavy bike.....not cheap tho....but definitely a great option.

I'd be pleased to help with any conversion of course.

Quote Originally Posted by zillazangel View Post
    He has a hand cycle that is powered, in that it does all the work for him. But its just a desktop one, not a real bike. He has zero arm movement.
    I was thinking the same thing you were. That invention could be used by quads in more applications than just hand cycling. I was thinking sailing. So far I'm sip and puffing for control but that switch could control a radio or lift the keel.

Great idea

Quote Originally Posted by Van Quad View Post
    I was thinking the same thing you were. That invention could be used by quads in more applications than just hand cycling. I was thinking sailing. So far I'm sip and puffing for control but that switch could control a radio or lift the keel.

Great idea
    Well to that end there is enough room for maybe 2 or 3 controllers along that bar.....

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    Mark, this seems like a great idea and how nice of you to make it free to those who need it. I've really enjoyed my powerpod and am always recommending it to people. If it can get higher level quads out there riding, even better. The bike I'd recommend for higher level quads is the top end excellerator as you can stop quickly by simply back pedaling with the internal 7 speed hub. Or if someone wanted to spend more money and have more of a agile bike, Bike-on.com does now offer a special braking system where you can back pedal to brake on a regular 27 speed or 21 speed derailer handcycle and even offers a specially designed handcycle for quads. It was Andy Barkers idea to originally do this (Rest in peace Andy) and I'm pretty sure it was him who came up with the cool braking system too that Bike-on has patent pending and sells.
    could not disagree more. the best bike for a high quad is a force r, hands down. we r all pull, being reclined l;ets us pull hard without balance issues. force r by far. the bike-on brake is incredible, i have been hammering mine since february. i suggest the disc to every quad wghom contacts me
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    could not disagree more. the best bike for a high quad is a force r, hands down. we r all pull, being reclined l;ets us pull hard without balance issues. force r by far. the bike-on brake is incredible, i have been hammering mine since february. i suggest the disc to every quad wghom contacts me
    My line of thinking is that if the handcycle was going to be used with the Powerpod, but ya, if the person were not using the powerpod the force R would be a good handcycle although would definatley require assistance to get on and off of it. The most easy handcycle to tranfer on and off would be one of those high rider top ends.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

THE CHOTTLE...!!!!

This is going out to a real-life quad.....

I made the perspex paddle on it and it is VERY COMFORTABLE. But I would like to hear back from the quad (they can feel their chins, right?)

[yes that was a joke...I know they have feelings too]

Its embarassing how simple this is.....but it works so...that's all that matters.

God bless PVC, it's the best thing invented next to duct tape.
    Looks really efficient Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    God bless PVC, it's the best thing invented next to duct tape.
    Looks really efficient Mark.
    Yup, I love Home Depot lol.
    It's the paddle on the thumb throttle that makes ALL the difference now. Very comfortable, safe and easy to control.