Thread: desk chair

desk chair

Just curious - do any of you sit on a chair OTHER then your wheelchair when you are at your desk at home? What kind do you use?

My Dad keeps his wheelchair on the first floor of his house. But unfortunately he spends many hours sitting at a computer he keeps upstairs on the 2nd floor. He sits on a simple rolling desk chair without arms. So this means a poor cushion and no pressure shifts for hours.

He also will not change his habits, or move his computer easily. His room is also very crowded and he wont use a small transport wheelchair we have. He wants a simple rolling desk chair.

I use a high back executive chair with http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roho-Mosaic-...orcev4exp=true roho mosaic cushion, also use that cushion on every day wheelchair and while i drive.
    c6/7 incomplete 6/30/07

whats that smell? its me, cause im the shit.

если я сейчас умру то нахуй я родился

Quote Originally Posted by russianboss View Post
    I use a high back executive chair with http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roho-Mosaic-...orcev4exp=true roho mosaic cushion, also use that cushion on every day wheelchair and while i drive.
    Hi Russianboss,

thanks - so you can squeeze that type of cushion into a desk chair? And you don't feel too "high" (relative to arm wrests etc..), since those chairs aren't really designed for an additional cushion?

Most good office chairs have a height adjustment so you can lower the seat a bit to accommodate a wheelchair cushion.

(KLD)

I'm always either in my manual or in my power. I spend most of my time at home in my power because it's more comfortable and is more roomy for sitting around and also because of the tilt-in-space seat. If I ever get it running again (right motor) I'll be able to move around at home with it too which would be nice since I have carpet and, the transferring every time I need to go anywhere, is tiring.

Quote Originally Posted by hlh View Post
    Hi Russianboss,

thanks - so you can squeeze that type of cushion into a desk chair? And you don't feel too "high" (relative to arm wrests etc..), since those chairs aren't really designed for an additional cushion?

I lower it all the way down, (compare to my wheelchair i seat 1-2 inches lower) with the cushion my feet touch the floor almost flat, so just find something to put on the floor to make your feet flat to your comfort. Also look for chairs that are rated for like 8 hour of continues use and fixed arm wrest, make sure arm wrests are really sturdy for pressure relief and transfers. just go to the store find what you like and test them out.
    c6/7 incomplete 6/30/07

whats that smell? its me, cause im the shit.

если я сейчас умру то нахуй я родился

Quote Originally Posted by russianboss View Post
    I lower it all the way down, (compare to my wheelchair i seat 1-2 inches lower) with the cushion my feet touch the floor almost flat, so just find something to put on the floor to make your feet flat to your comfort. Also look for chairs that are rated for like 8 hour of continues use and fixed arm wrest, make sure arm wrests are really sturdy for pressure relief and transfers. just go to the store find what you like and test them out.

Thanks for the info.

We have a relatively cheap desk chair with arm wrests, but when my Dad tries to do a "press-up" pressure release, he is so heavy that the chair sinks down. I think he will probably break it doing that sort of pressure release, but maybe with a sturdier chair... or he just needs to lean to the sides etc.. instead.