Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: $300 Wasted On A Shower Bench I Hate

I don't know how old your injury is but it took me about 2 years post injury to feel "comfortable" with my transfers and for the spasms to lessen. I guess what I'm saying is the more you do it, the easier it gets, to a certain degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Kulea View Post
    If you have the money to pay for a bathroom modification, landlords are required to allow you to make the reasonable modification. They certainly may require that you follow building codes and, if the modification makes the place less rentable, may require that you restore it when you leave. But, a landlord can't prevent you from making the modification.
    This is what I thought. She made my mom pay her an additional $175 to put a ramp up.

Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb1kN...eature=related

Maybe the landlords would though. an accessible bathroom is something that would make a place easier to rent, as you may imagine. this cost about 5-600 but your landlord could get a grant, or tax break by doing it.

sorry about the funky tunes in the video, it was the only one that showed a wide cutout. and no, not because you are fat.

I like this thanks I'm going to show my mom

Quote Originally Posted by Donno View Post
    One thing to consider is that I have hated any new equipment the first few times I use it, because I am not used to it. I wear a chest strap to keep me from pitching forward, and your seat looks like it should accommodate a strap easily.
    Yes it came with a two straps but I still feel like I'm not sitting far enough back on the seat like I wish the seat length was a bit longer

Quote Originally Posted by Kulea View Post
    What are you doing with your legs and feet before and during the transfer? Are they both on the ground? Or on the footplate? What angle is your wheelchair to the bath seat? What is different about this transfer than one outside of the bathroom that makes it harder?
    I try to put my legs on the floor but my spasms prevent them from staying there long. And I put the wheelchair at an angle. When I'm getting out my chair is higher than the bench so that makes it difficult. I have a hard time getting my bum over the wheel. Also me being wet makes it harder to slide on the board.

Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    While travelling recently, I used a $15 plastic deck chair at a family member's house and threw a cushion (stimulite, w/o a cover) on it... it was one of the most comfortable showers I've taken post-sci... go figure.

As for transfers, I pretty much always use a transfer board in/out of the shower (level: C6/7) & just stuff a tshirt, boxers, etc (typically any piece of clothing I've just removed) between my skin & the board.

I too find those plastic deck chairs to be very comfortable. Before I bought the bench I would put a ton of chux on the floor and wash up next to the sink in my wheelchair. Which I think I'm going to go back to doing until I figure out a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by lazierdog View Post
    I don't know how old your injury is but it took me about 2 years post injury to feel "comfortable" with my transfers and for the spasms to lessen. I guess what I'm saying is the more you do it, the easier it gets, to a certain degree.
    I'm six years into my injury. Previously I would have someone just pick me up and put me in the tub, but recently we moved and I'm pretty much starting my life all over again and I want to be able to do everything by myself now.

what do you have against treating your spasms?

I can't take baclofen because I get unstable blood sugar. I see the neuro about other options at the end of the month. because spasms are making it difficult for me to drive. are you just against taking meds? I can understand that, but maybe treating them if you can, would help with getting everything done on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    what do you have against treating your spasms?

I can't take baclofen because I get unstable blood sugar. I see the neuro about other options at the end of the month. because spasms are making it difficult for me to drive. are you just against taking meds? I can understand that, but maybe treating them if you can, would help with getting everything done on your own.
    I've tried Baclofen and Flexeril and both make me extremely sleepy and really do nothing for my spasms anyways.

Iv tried both as well without good results, but I am told there might be other options.
    I tend to get spasms in the evenings. (Jumpy legs and arms) sometimes my whole body with make a violent jerk several times. In the mornings and through the day Im getting clonus, which is more like a constant tremor, or twitching, So Im hoping there is something I can take in the evenings that will not wipe me out or make me feel rubbery the next day. I'll let you know what I find out.