Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: $300 Wasted On A Shower Bench I Hate

$300 Wasted On A Shower Bench I Hate

So if anyone remembers a while back I had posted about not being able to get in the shower because the toliet was too close to the sink. So I finally found a transfer bench that was long enough for my bathroom. Ok so I pay $300 for this and I absolutely HATE it. The bench itself is great it slides and is built very sturdy. The problem really is me. I already suck at transfers to begin with and bath transfers are a nightmare for me. I'm a T1 no trunk control and terrible spasms (and no I don't and will not take anything for them) spasms that will cause me to fall face forward. Anyways I can get on the bench better than I can get off it though even getting on it is hard. I feel once on it if I make one wrong move I'm going to the floor. I feel like I have no room and once I get out water is all over the floor because the chair doesn't go far enough into the shower or maybe I'm just fat. Basically this post is to ask are there anythings available that can make shower transfers easier? I feel like I will never get this down and it's so depressing and frustrating.

Roll-ins are expensive but maybe that's the option you need?

And you are NOT fat!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Roll-ins are expensive but maybe that's the option you need?

And you are NOT fat!

We rent and our land lady won't allow for that since it's the only full bathroom. I was looking into the shower buddy but it's very expensive and I read on the website maybe medicare or medicaid I can't rememeber which one will pay for it depending on the state so I'm waiting for someone to call me back regarding that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb1kN...eature=related

Maybe the landlords would though. an accessible bathroom is something that would make a place easier to rent, as you may imagine. this cost about 5-600 but your landlord could get a grant, or tax break by doing it.

sorry about the funky tunes in the video, it was the only one that showed a wide cutout. and no, not because you are fat.

Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb1kN...eature=related

Maybe the landlords would though. an accessible bathroom is something that would make a place easier to rent, as you may imagine. this cost about 5-600 but your landlord could get a grant, or tax break by doing it.

sorry about the funky tunes in the video, it was the only one that showed a wide cutout. and no, not because you are fat.

Our landlord is an idiot and she is extra paranoid and crazy about everything. We had to go through a lot of bs just to put a ramp up.

If you have the money to pay for a bathroom modification, landlords are required to allow you to make the reasonable modification. They certainly may require that you follow building codes and, if the modification makes the place less rentable, may require that you restore it when you leave. But, a landlord can't prevent you from making the modification.
    C-6/7 incomplete

Blog Entries
    One thing to consider is that I have hated any new equipment the first few times I use it, because I am not used to it. I wear a chest strap to keep me from pitching forward, and your seat looks like it should accommodate a strap easily.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Quote Originally Posted by SequinScandal View Post
    Basically this post is to ask are there anythings available that can make shower transfers easier?
    What are you doing with your legs and feet before and during the transfer? Are they both on the ground? Or on the footplate? What angle is your wheelchair to the bath seat? What is different about this transfer than one outside of the bathroom that makes it harder?
    C-6/7 incomplete

While travelling recently, I used a $15 plastic deck chair at a family member's house and threw a cushion (stimulite, w/o a cover) on it... it was one of the most comfortable showers I've taken post-sci... go figure.

As for transfers, I pretty much always use a transfer board in/out of the shower (level: C6/7) & just stuff a tshirt, boxers, etc (typically any piece of clothing I've just removed) between my skin & the board.

check out the bench near bottom of page on this link.... ..http://www.squidoo.com/wheelchair-travel-in-istanbul
    same i use, but not exactly sure of your needs, but its only $80, and nicely padded, half in tub,half out...
    - Rolling Thru Life -