Thread: How do I know whether someone has been on my computer

Blog Entries

How do I know whether someone has been on my computer

And how do I ensure it does not happen? I kind up the other day to programs open that I never have opened. It's possible that I had left Dragon on and it was responding to conversation before I went to bed. But how do I know that no one came on my computer while I left it on? I don't remember – whether I if I have a firewall, and whether it's up to date?

Blog Entries
    You have a firewall, and they do not need to be updated. I used to have the same thing happen at school, and I solved the problem by activating the screensaver, and check the On resume, display login screen box. Then no one can use your computer unless they know your password.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

To see every web page that has been accessed on your computer check your history. Click on your browser/toolbar and on the left upper side at the end there will be a tool icon (usually a small wrench). Click on the icon and a menu should appear. Then click on the history link on the menu and it will show all web pages that have been visited. On some browsers there is a history icon but in most cases (Chrome) it's the tool icon on the left hand side.

The only way to insure that no one accesses your computer is to set up password protection.

I use Chrome so that's why the menu drop down for the history links would be an icon of a wrench...I've just been informed if you use IE that there's a gold star at the end of the browser and that's where the history is located. I don't know about other browsers but it should be similar. Located at the top left...

(866) pc-safety

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    And how do I ensure it does not happen? I kind up the other day to programs open that I never have opened. It's possible that I had left Dragon on and it was responding to conversation before I went to bed. But how do I know that no one came on my computer while I left it on? I don't remember – whether I if I have a firewall, and whether it's up to date?
    Wow! I am surprised that your employer didn't tell you about this issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Donno View Post
    You have a firewall, and they do not need to be updated. I used to have the same thing happen at school, and I solved the problem by activating the screensaver, and check the On resume, display login screen box. Then no one can use your computer unless they know your password.
    Not true.

Quote Originally Posted by tyvin View Post
    Snip ...

The only way to insure that no one accesses your computer is to set up password protection.
    Again, not true.

Your computer can be shut down and hackers can still access your hard drive via the internet cable power. To be truly safe from hackers unplug your cable from your computer and save all you files to an external passport drive, When you shut down your computer unplug the passport drive, internet cable from your computer,
    shut off modem and wireless router to be truly safe.

A hacker would not work on an individual's computer but more on a corporate, local, state or federal level system where data is more sensitive.

Microsoft offers Microsoft Security Essentials which is an antivirus software that is free and if anything gets past it Microsoft will remove for free. Call them at (866) PC-SAFETY. No firewall needed or Norton Anti-virus.

But if do get get infected? Start your system in Safe Mode and run mrt.exe from the Start button. Automatic updates should be turned on to keep your system up to date with antivirus protection service packs. Mirosoft will tell you to run mrt.exe before they will assist you. Usually mrt.exe will find the bug and remove it. MRT stands for
    Malicious Software Removal Tool.

Believe me the people at Microsoft are aware o
    f all the virus, Trojans, worms, etc.

I learned this from a class called Hackers, Crackers & Techniques.

Ti
    Last edited by titanium4motion; 08-24-2012 at 10:42 PM.
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

The keyboard is usually sticky.

Western Australia - Hammer wielding daemon
    Browser history is always interesting. Change their password and when they ask what you changed it to ask them to ask you before they use your computer again.