Thread: handicapped parking fees

handicapped parking fees

Can a hotel charge for their handicapped parking spaces or is it public domain for anyone with a handicapped parking placard to use?

Quote Originally Posted by nauticalmike View Post
    Can a hotel charge for their handicapped parking spaces or is it public domain for anyone with a handicapped parking placard to use?
    They can charge for it, just like parking garages.

Depends. As T8 said but some cities don't require handicapped parkers to pay the parking meters. The university hospital I go to charges the same for the handicapped lot as the parking garage. Both have handicapped spots but the H-lot is closer.

If you are staying in the hotel, parking is usually a perk of your room. It just depends on where you are I guess.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

No free parking in a commercial lot (hotel, restaurant, etc.) that charges everyone else for parking; but they cannot charge MORE for handicapped parking than they do for a regular vehicle/space.

Some towns have free parking for placard bearers at parking meters on the street, or city-owned lots, but that varies by the locality. It is not required under the ADA.

Darkeyed Daisy, I know of few hotels in big cities that include parking in their rates. Most charge $15-30/day, even for their "guests". You usually get free parking at rural or suburban hotels/motels, but not in big urban areas.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post

Darkeyed Daisy, I know of few hotels in big cities that include parking in their rates. Most charge $15-30/day, even for their "guests". You usually get free parking at rural or suburban hotels/motels, but not in big urban areas.

(KLD)
    I haven't stayed in many huge cities. We usually stay outside in more rural so that explains it. I had no idea.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

We had an unusual situation come up. We valeted our van at a big city hotel. They didn't have ability to park our van (9"1') in their garage, so they parked it on the street nearby. As it turns out, they parked it illegally for the 2 nights we were there. Guess who got the ticket after we got home (they didn't give us the ticket while we were there.... they "forgot" to give us the ticket I guess). We got a summons in the mail to either pay the ticket or appear in court. And it wasn't cheap, it was over $200 in fines.

We complained to the hotel and they REFUSED to pay the tickets, saying it was our van. We said THEY were responsible because THEY took responsibility for it when they valeted it. We paid the ticket in the meantime because of course we didn't want to go to jail! And once it was paid, there was no ability to threaten them with anything and we never did get them to refund us the charge. The parking ticket cost as much as a third night. They knew that small claims court was not an option since it would cost far more for us to do that being from out of town than the cost of the tickets.

We were furious. Driving a tall van SUCKS ... and so does that hotel!!! (somewhere in Philly, I've PTSD'ed the name out of my head, it was years and years ago)
    Last edited by zillazangel; 08-18-2012 at 02:01 PM.
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Zilla (and everyone) - Next time, file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Call the local office where the incident happened and ask them how to file a complaint. Have all your paperwork ready - the ticket, the receipt, the bill from the hotel to prove you stayed there - especially if it shows a valet charge.
    I was once able to get a $300 refund via the BBB from a hospitality company for misrepresentation.

And yes, anyone can charge anyone to park on their property. Doesn't matter if it's a public or private lot. They can charge you.

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    Zilla - File a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Call the local office where the incident happened and ask them how to file a complaint. Have all your paperwork ready - the ticket, the receipt, the bill from the hotel to prove you stayed there - especially if it shows a valet charge.

And yes, anyone can charge anyone to park on their property. Doesn't matter if it's a public or private lot. They can charge you.
    It was over 5 years ago, I guess I should I have thought of that at the time. Ad it def showed a valet charge. It cost us $30 a night to valet!
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

I'm gong to be staying at a san francisco marriott in a few weeks because my wife is doing the alcatraz swim and it's easier than driving in from my house. They want $46.00/night for parking though, which was what prompted my question. Thank you all for your information. Fortunately I have since learned that I can park at any meter for free with the disabled placard,so their ridiculous overcharging for parking is averted...