Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do you have words to live by?

Do you have words to live by?

Another online group I'm fond of had a long thread today about favorite movie lines. I posted this one from Lord of the Rings.

It's all wrong. By rights we shouldn't even be here. But we are. It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow.
    That's Sam . . . brave, frustrated, sorrowful, relentless Sam always makes me think of caregivers. It's only a passing thing, this shadow!

Blog Entries
    I think he's right. Things tend to work out in the end. And I really like relentless.

I don't have a favorite line per se. However I do have a scene from a movie I try to live by. In the Blues Brothers when Jake and Elwood are calling Morty Sline in a phone booth, Carrie Fisher shoots a Laz Rocket at them, it hits a propane tank, it explodes and they go flying in the air, then crash. Elwood looks at Jake and says "There must be 7-8 bucks worth of quarters here" (probably not exact quote).

I want to attain that level of Zen, that when shit literally blows up around you, your reaction is to grab some spare change and move on.

These are the latest words of wisdom that my father provided last week. I'm still meditating on them.

Here is a little context before I share this gem. I'm a 42 yr old c7 complete, 23 yrs post, divorced 6yrs ago and getting back into the dating scene and not having much success (shocker I know).

Dad: Don't worry son your going to find plenty of women over 40 because most of them lose interest in sex around that age.

Me: How do you know you've never dated a woman over 40?

Dad: Exactly!

Me: Thanks for that.

Dad: I'm serious son, you'd be surprised how many women really don't like sex.

Me: Okay

Keep a Positive Mental Attitude(PMA) and maximize your potential with what you have left.

Woodland, CA, USA Old male, T12 incomplete TM 2004
    I'm sure my Dad didn't invent it but he did impress it upon me when I was young.

"Yard by yard, life is hard. Inch by inch, it's a cinch."
    TM 2004 T12 incomplete

all my ancestors.

to me that means we are all connected, and related to all things, and should have respect for all things because all things affected can have an effect on everyone and everything.

getter done

Sustained Motion----keep moving forward in all ways you can.

I also got drunk during my last divorce and got a tattoo on my arm that says Live Strong, Live Free,,,,,,but let's not go there.
    2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.