Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why will Sunrise Medical (Quickie) not deal with the individual?

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Most major medical devices classified as Durable Medical Equipment are sold through dealership networks. Suppliers like Sunrise, Invacare, Roho, Colours, Permobile, etc. sell their products through designated dealers. These suppliers can't undermine their dealer network contracts by dealing directly with consumers. So, whether it is the sale of a new chair, repairs, or even warranty issues, suppliers will always refer you back to their dealers.

All the best,
    GJ
    yep, thats what i was thinking
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

So what happens if the dealer goes out of business? Like I said, it appears you are screwed

you go to a new dealer. Like was suggested earlier in the thread. The poster that went to a new dealer and got a completely new chair due to frame defect even popped in here and identified herself. Her first DME didn't go out of business, but were complete morons who screwed up the measurements on her first chair and then weren't helping her when she got a crack in a weld. She talked to a sunrise rep and went through a new dealer to get a replacement. I think she offered to pass along the info for the rep she spoke to? Anyway, go to another dealer if you get any problems that can't be fixed by CC
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by ryano View Post
    So what happens if the dealer goes out of business? Like I said, it appears you are screwed
    My DME is still in business and I was screwed by them. All the stories are too long but maybe I could say a little ..

Left motor goes bad, DME takes two months to put in the paperwork to insurance.
    Approval comes, DME takes chair and keeps it for three months during which they don't contact me at all and I am unable to reach anyone except by voicemail, then they have a van driver call me to tell me he is in the neighborhood and delivering the chair. No notice, no information, no explanation, no voice contact and they just decide to deliver on some bizarre notion that I will be there. Total chance and luck that I happened to be home. Who knows what would have happened otherwise, another three months?

Right motor dies. Months go by, I hear nothing from them. Finally I get some one actually on the phone live and they tell me that insurance rejected the claim because the left motor had just been replaced. Uh guys, it's the right fucking motor this time and you got the paperwork wrong. I tell them they put down the wrong motor and she indicates that they'll re-apply. I haven't heard back from them in more than two years.

DME in business or out can mean little difference. I've never had such dark thoughts about a group of people. My DME has no sensitivity or awareness of what wheelchairs mean to the people who rely on them. Just didn't make any difference to them. Keep the chair for months, don't tell the client anything, show up with the chair, screw up with the insurance company and leave the client high and dry, it was all the same to them. And I want to make the point, if it matters, I was the ideal client. Always polite, to the point, kept all my appoinments, answered all their questions, supplied doctor's prescriptions etcetera. I was the client they wanted. Didn't make any difference. Could have treated them like shit and gotten the same service. They were inhuman towards their wheelchair using clients.

There are more stories, some about their other clients, you don't even want to hear. I was there one day when they did something to some one that broke my heart. My heart broke because the guy sat there defeated, knowing he had no choice but to accept whatever they did to him and he let the OT abuse him. He didn't want to ruin his chance for getting his chair. Broke my heart. Won't forget it.

if you have a bad dme, and there is others in your area, get a new one
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

I don't know if your post is a response to mine or some one else. In my case with my powerchair, it has been explained to me (not certain if this is true) that no DME will work on a powerchair they didn't sell. So I can't go anywhere else unless I am buying a new powerchair which I was just turned down for.

I have also been told that any DME that sells a chair in California is required by law to provide service for it for a period of 5 years. This may be the law but it's bullshit in practice if the DME doesn't provide the service as in my example of no communication, filing the wrong paperwork and so receiving a denial from the insurance company and then saying they would re-apply and not contacting me in two years. Now it's been five years since I got the chair from them. Hasn't worked for two of them and several months of the three years remaining it was with them, doing nothing but waiting in their shop.

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    In my case with my powerchair, it has been explained to me (not certain if this is true) that no DME will work on a powerchair they didn't sell. So I can't go anywhere else unless I am buying a new powerchair which I was just turned down for.
    When I moved from Southern California to Northern California, I had no problem at all getting a Durable Medical Equipment company to service and get parts for my chair which I had purchased in Southern California from, of course, another dealer.

All the best,
    GJ

Which DME did you go to in Northern California?

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    Which DME did you go to in Northern California?
    Wheelchairs of Berkeley (WOB) and Western Rehabilitation (WR).

WOB can be spotty in their service and billing. When they are good, they are very good, and when they are bad, they really get things screwed up. I'd rate them about 40/60, good and bad respectively.

I haven't had a much experience with WR as WOB. WR has been reluctant to do repairs while I remain in the chair, which is irritating. They site safety regs. Hmmm.

All the best,
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by ~Lin View Post
    She talked to a sunrise rep and went through a new dealer to get a replacement. I think she offered to pass along the info for the rep she spoke to?
    I remember reading about that but I thought that all happened because of the generosity of SCI_OTR getting involved in it.

I must of have missed that post but will go back and re read this thread again.

Thanks!