Thread: How do you pay for catheters?

How do you pay for catheters?

Ok, so here's my situation:

I'm L2 incomplete, I can hobble around fairly well with a cane and an AFO, but I can't pass urine withou a catheter. Nine months post.

I have catastrophic health insurance, which means that they don't pay for anything until I have incurred 10400 dollars in medical expenses in a given year.

I have looked into other health plans (specifically the one provided by my university) and they do not cover pre-existing conditions for the first six months. This renders it useless to me since I will only be enrolled for one more semester.

I have looked into Medicaid and applied twice only to be rejected because I am not disabled enough to remove me from the work-force for a year - which is probably true, but I just need something to tie me over until I can get a decent job after school.

It's like 350 bucks a month for my hydrophilic catheters and I'm not sure will be given next months supply. They really balked at giving me the 200 catheters I have right now.

I have a very strong preference for hydrophilic catheters because they allow me to cath in all sorts of difficult places. I actually do a considerable amount of backpacking and camping (with crutches) and biking that puts me in plenty of places that would be essentially impossible to maintain any degree of sterility without the benefits of the hydrophilic setup. Not to mention all the gross public bathrooms I frequent.

Oh yea, I have no money and neither does my family. My pre-injury income came from working as a delivery biker and skydiving so I can't really earn anything in the near future.

Any ideas?
    L2 incomplete with a pretty bad limp since 10/31/2011.

Quote Originally Posted by shveddy View Post
    Ok, so here's my situation:

I have looked into Medicaid and applied twice only to be rejected because I am not disabled enough to remove me from the work-force for a year - which is probably true, but I just need something to tie me over until I can get a decent job after school.

Any ideas?
    Did you apply for Social Security? From your post I am not quite clear on whether you work or not.
    If you are not working and have not applied for Social Security I would suggest you give that a try. If you are approved for SSI you would get Medicaid. If you have enough quarters of work you would be entitled to Medicare if approved. It's more money but a long wait to be eligible for Medicare and it sounds like you need them ASAP which is understandable.

Do you receive any assistance from your State Vocational Rehabilitation Services? You mention you are in school, it might be a justifiable request for equipment to help you while pursuing vocational training.

id cath in my car into a bottle before I would in a public bathroom. I avoid that if I can.
    Id suggest getting thirty of the reusable kind, so that you can use them at home, and when you go out, you use the single use disposables.

I have some on hand in case something happens and my supplies get cut off again.
    you re sterilize them. I always ended up with a uti, by the third month using them, but in a pinch it is better then going to the ER for an indwelling.

if your Gp says you are not fit to work, you should be eligible for medicaid. You don't have to be out of work for a year, they go by household income, age, and if you are able to work. At least they did for me. My work insurance only lasted six months, and at the time I got medicaid it was not known how long I would be unable to work. I applied for jobs for five years without being hired before my disability was granted however I was covered by medicaid from the time my work insurance ran out untill I was eligible for medicare. now I have both.

In Georgia, except for a house, you cannot have assets more than $2000 to be eligible for Medicaid. This includes automobile, stocks, bonds or savings account. The Department of Vocational Rehabilitation would be your best bet as you are a student.

Good luck.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

I would try both Office of Vocational Rehab and Medicaid. You have nothing to lose.
    CKF

Another thing you might be able to do depending on your individual circumstances...

If you have a parent or parents who have health insurance you can now buy in to their health insurance program up until age 26 (you list age as 24 on profile) through the, "Affordable Care Act".

I have some friends whose son is in his early 20's , got laid off from his job and they were able to easily move him on to his mothers insurance plan. She is a school teacher it's a large insurance pool and they are paying an extra $35.00 a month for coverage.

http://www.healthcare.gov/law/featur...age/index.html
    Last edited by ChesBay; 08-16-2012 at 11:09 PM. Reason: typo

Point well taken.
    CKF

Contact the GA Dept. of Vocational Rehabilitation right away. They pay for things people with disabilities (pw/d) need to get or keep a job. They might be able to help you out with paying for more than just catheters.

ETA: You might also be eligible for SSI, a Social Security program to aid low-income (pw/d). Take this online eligibility questionnaire to find out.
    Last edited by thehipcrip; 08-19-2012 at 08:21 AM. Reason: add SSI info
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar