Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hand Controls - Driving and Fueling

Hand Controls - Driving and Fueling

After doing some research I found that any gas station that has an emergency blue button on the pump is required to come assist you with getting gas into your car, so long as you arrive at a time when there is more than one person in the building. I was wondering how many of your have run into this situation and how you were able to have it handled.

I have heard the "call ahead" to make sure there are two attendant's there, and honk your horn when you arrive to make sure they know you are there. I have also seen some places with the "Handicap" call button. Do these work.

I want to take a trip and want to know that I know not going to get off somewhere and end up out of gas.

If you can't do it yourself, you are pretty screwed. At the least you will have to go inside and ask for help. Stay away from small gas stations. Go with Pilot, Ractrack, etc, the big truck stops. You can push those buttons, or honk till your blue in the face and it won't do much good. The companies don't educate their people to the law.

Yea I agree with baldfatdad, if you can't do it yourself you might get screwed. I've never had the "blue button" work. Tried it a few times on some lazy days and ended up having to get out and pump my own anyways.

Where are you taking a trip? You might be able to map out some full service stations along the way with the help of people on this forum.

If you don't mind sharing how do you typically get gas?

I do understand it's a pain in the ass. I'm a T-5 Para that drives a civic coupe. I try to avoid it when I can. =]

Being able to pump your own gas opens up a whole new world of independence. Even being able to go in and ask someone to pump your gas should open things up.

That having to wait around stuff and only being able to go where people know or are expecting you just plain sucks. I did that for several years before I just couldn't take it anymore.

Crossing this threshold also convinced me to not accept a lot of the other limitations imposed by my circumstances and environment.

I've always wondered how you were supposed to reach the button...

So, with that information, I guess my question is now, is why hasn't more been done to educate local gas affiliates about their responsibilities under the law. How would you go about doing this. I am T3-Para and I drive most of the time with my mom with me, so getting gas has not been a problem. I just want to be able to branch out and not be constrained by where one tank of gas can take me.

Quote Originally Posted by CubGuyMS View Post
    So, with that information, I guess my question is now, is why hasn't more been done to educate local gas affiliates about their responsibilities under the law. How would you go about doing this. I am T3-Para and I drive most of the time with my mom with me, so getting gas has not been a problem. I just want to be able to branch out and not be constrained by where one tank of gas can take me.
    How do you get in and out of the car? I have friends that are quads that still manage to drive/pump their gas. It's a pain and time consuming but it needs to be done for you to drive Independently.

If you can't get in and out with your chair, I'd say a good start is to practice =]

On top of all that 95% of gas stations around me have one person working so they never would have to do that anyways.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Just drive in New Jersey and Oregon, it's great, they pump everyone's gas.

Ironically when I was A/B I hated it, now I love it

Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    Just drive in New Jersey and Oregon, it's great, they pump everyone's gas.

Ironically when I was A/B I hated it, now I love it
    Yes, it's quite convenient. It's one of the reasons I moved from
    AZ to OR, lol.

I've been traveling with my kids which makes it more difficult to get the chair out and tried those handicap buttons in several places.. none worked.

What does work is to call on the phone, say I use a wheelchair, and ask if someone would help pump fuel. I don't do that all that often but it has always worked and the people have always been nice.
    Andrew