Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: The need for and likelihood of a cure of spinal cord injury

I certainly wouldn't put debbie in the same class as bush. The only point I was making was that sometimes people feel they can't belong to both groups. And, thats all I meant. Debbie Rocks!

WOW - it's kind of scary that so many people can not only explain what I say in my posts but go deeper and decipher what I'm thinking - and I'm being serious when I say this. So, just to confirm what others have already stated: I mentioned that those who are primarily concered with Care can go to the Care forum because it literally is a perfect place to promote care issues. Same goes for the Cure forum. Bigbob, I didn't mean that you had to be just for one or the other just that there are specific places you can post for each issue. Bigbob - I know there was a little humor there when you compared me to Bush but we are like night and day. As most of you know I DETEST that man and only because I believe he panders to pro-life not because of a deep religious convictions but because he wants votes. To me this is deplorable especially given the life and death issue he is speaking about. People are dying horrifying deaths with ALS and we are locked in permanent nightmares with SCI. To me this is not an issue Bush should be taking so lightly and half-heartely just to obtain votes. Again, heaven help him if someone he loves comes down with a life threatening illness or debilitating injury. There is a quote that fits his apathy that I'd like to reiterate even though I must paraphrase, "when they came for the Jews I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew. When they came for the Catholics I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Catholic...now they are coming for me and there is no one left to speak out for me."

Wise - hug right back to you.

Deb

Dear Dr. Wise young,
    I have read and reread your post many times. There is just one sentence among many that continues to resonate in me: "spinal cord injury is not good."

I just love the simplicity of that line. I earn my living as a motivational speaker and I firmly believe that the two accidents I have experienced in my life are gifts and not tragedies. However there gifts that some mornings I'd like to wake up without!

So I thank you very much for your words. Because even though it is the simple fact that I'm in a wheelchair and need to deal with daily living there is another part of me that also appreciates the desire and need for a cure.

I am reminded of Carl Jung's statements about the human spirit... that it is an automonous self healing psyche and that this process wants the best for us as human beings. I see this is more than a psychological believe as within so without. It makes perfect sense what you're saying. The desire to improve the quality of our lives is innate.

Thank you so very much for reminding me of that so eloquently.
    James
    www.jimmaclaren.com

Jim MacSf

"I firmly believe that the two accidents I have experienced in my life are gifts and not tragedies."

Please enlighten us Jim? My life and definitely my personality would have been infinitely better without my accident and so I am interested in your viewpoint.

This topic from 2004 still seems relevant today. Wise.

Current

I am sure that it will remain current for some time to come.

Phase I trials 2-3 years
    Phase II trials 2-3 years
    Phase III trials 2-3 years

Cure "priceless"

I was told by my doc in 2002 that it would be 5-7 years and there would be a cure. They are still using the same timeline.

Dr. Wise your comments are timeless. We need to be reminded of the items.

I don't think I'm a quad or a para. All I know is I used to go to work and play golf and go dancing with my wife. If i wanted to do anything other than what I mentioned it is was a matter of choice. Now i sit in front of a television, computer or piano and go almost nowhere with the exeption of to the doctors. This is not a life to want to make something of. It is a life of pain and disability. Of drugs and lonliness. I would take anything in order to return to being able to walk to a bus stop. I am not young like a great many of you. I have had a life and lived it. Not enough for my own satisfaction. But to the rest of you who are young and there is so much to look forward to, remember that miracles can happen. They happen when least expected and they happen when no one is looking. Don't give up. Who would have thought to the sufferers of diptheria, syphilis, or even phnemonia and polio that there would be a cure. But cures were found, and millions of sufferers were saved. You young people out there. You listen to an old worn out, past his prime, average son of a bitch. Go on and believe. Someday it will be worth the wait.

Quote Originally Posted by eagle18
    I don't think I'm a quad or a para. All I know is I used to go to work and play golf and go dancing with my wife. If i wanted to do anything other than what I mentioned it is was a matter of choice. Now i sit in front of a television, computer or piano and go almost nowhere with the exeption of to the doctors. This is not a life to want to make something of. It is a life of pain and disability. Of drugs and lonliness. I would take anything in order to return to being able to walk to a bus stop. I am not young like a great many of you. I have had a life and lived it. Not enough for my own satisfaction. But to the rest of you who are young and there is so much to look forward to, remember that miracles can happen. They happen when least expected and they happen when no one is looking. Don't give up. Who would have thought to the sufferers of diptheria, syphilis, or even phnemonia and polio that there would be a cure. But cures were found, and millions of sufferers were saved. You young people out there. You listen to an old worn out, past his prime, average son of a bitch. Go on and believe. Someday it will be worth the wait.

eagle, I sincerely hope that you too, will benifit from a cure.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Buck_Nastier
    eagle, I sincerely hope that you too, will benifit from a cure.
    I agree. There should be no discrimination because of age. Every human life is equally valuable.