Thread: Occasional discharge

Occasional discharge

SCI-Nurse: I occasionally get a small amount of opaque/white-ish discharge at the tip of my urethra/meatus. I notice it before I cath. A similar discharge can also occur while I am digitally stimulating for defecation; dig stim can trigger a release of it, for lack of a better term. When that happens, there is a more volume and I notice it is a little sticky. I've taken to just leaving my cath in while doing sig stim to avoid getting it on my hand, should it occur.

I haven't mentioned this to my SCI doctor yet and have not been to a urologist. I have assumed it was just occasional sediment making its way out, but can't explain why dig stim triggers an actual release of it. Your thoughts?

Further: T5 complete for 12 years, I self-cath about a half dozen times a day, rarely get UTIs (and the discharge isn't related to UTIs), and the only meds I'm on are baclofen and diazepam.
    Last edited by Rock517; 08-15-2012 at 09:27 AM.
    6/18/00: T-5 complete

Two possibilities I can think of.

First, urethritis caused by an infection, yeast, or parasite. See you urologist or family physician to get the discharge cultured and examined under a microscope. Antibiotics or other medications would be indicated if bacteria etc. are present.

Second, lack of ejaculation can cause fluid to accumulate in the prostate gland. A bowel full of stool or digital stimulation could press on the prostate resulting in the release of fluid and I suppose a catheter passing through the prostatic urethra could cause enough pressure to release fluid as well. Your urologists may have some suggestions. Sometimes prostate massage is used to de-congest the prostate.

All the best,
    GJ

Since you don't have any other symptoms of urerethritis, I am willing to bet on the second suggestion made above. It is not uncommon and the nrrves that you are stimulating with yourdig stim, etc will cause that.

I would still recommend that you get it checked out just to be safe.

CKF

It's probably just dead white blood cells, i.e. pus, that occurs with colonization. The colonized bladder is in a state of low-level inflammation as a result of bacteria being present that shouldn't be. While you may not be symptomatic with a UTI, this white discharge could just be mild inflammatory debris. I myself have it. If you ever get a foley you have a lot more of it.

I've experienced the same thing many times except for I don't do dig stim so I can't attest to that part.

I also frequently have same symptom. I hope its not serious because I've never done anything about it

If nothing has progressed, you are probably not experiencing anything serious.
    CKF

Thanks, gjnl and SCI-Nurse. I have my annual visit with my SCI doc soon and will mention it to him. Honestly, this has been going on for a few years now but I haven't given it much thought because it didn't seem to be harmful and never progressed. I attributed the occasional bit of puss (for lack of a better term) to be related to years of having a neurogenic bladder and cathing. That and the puss is not there EVERY time I go to cath, so I wasn't worried it was an infection.

As for the dig stim "discharge," (which is totally different than the occasional stuff I otherwise get), I kind of thought it may be some sort of seminal fluid. Weird!
    Last edited by Rock517; 08-15-2012 at 09:42 AM.
    6/18/00: T-5 complete

Let us know how it turns out.
    CKF