Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 42

Thread: Help Me Fix My Foot!

  1. #1

    Help Me Fix My Foot!

    So I finally got rid of my horrible Quickie 2 and bought a ZRA from Ebay. But anyways as you can see I always have a problem with my left foot not laying flat on the foot plate. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to fix this? Thanks
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 08-13-2012 at 01:19 AM. Reason: Right-size photo.

  2. #2
    Change the angle of the footplate

  3. #3
    Senior Member ~Lin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,070
    I don't think that's an angle adjustable footplate, looks like a tubular with abs cover.

    have you tried raising the footplate?
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

    I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Lin View Post
    I don't think that's an angle adjustable footplate, looks like a tubular with abs cover.

    have you tried raising the footplate?
    Yep just raised it day before yesterday and didnt work

  5. #5
    Moderator jody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    east o the southern warren
    Posts
    8,530
    velcro? (I velcro my silly feet to my trike pedals.)

  6. #6
    Senior Member Kulea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Kailua, Hawaii
    Posts
    429
    You might want to experiment with crossing your legs. The weight of the leg on top tends to stretch the ankle of the foot sitting on the plate. Don't sit for super long periods with the same leg on top, as that could lead to sores. I do this and swap legs about every 15-30 minutes. the leg swap even is a kind of pressure relief. Doing this for part of the day on a regular basis will help keep the ankles stretched and keep them from lifting like they are. And when they do lift, crossing the legs briefly at that time will again relax and stretch the ankle.
    C-6/7 incomplete

  7. #7
    It looks like you might benefit from some form of footrest build up similar to what I did to my chair...

    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=118716



    Yours would obviously have to be a little more extreme than mine. Sportaid recently started carrying the Wheel Comfort padded footplate. I have never seen one, but it might be possible to modify the foam base...

    http://www.sportaid.com/wheel-comfor...footplate.html





    Or you could come up with your own rendition of the concept.


  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Kulea View Post
    You might want to experiment with crossing your legs. The weight of the leg on top tends to stretch the ankle of the foot sitting on the plate. Don't sit for super long periods with the same leg on top, as that could lead to sores. I do this and swap legs about every 15-30 minutes. the leg swap even is a kind of pressure relief. Doing this for part of the day on a regular basis will help keep the ankles stretched and keep them from lifting like they are. And when they do lift, crossing the legs briefly at that time will again relax and stretch the ankle.
    This sounds like an easy and great idea to try! I will start tomorrow thanks

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    It looks like you might benefit from some form of footrest build up similar to what I did to my chair...

    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=118716



    Yours would obviously have to be a little more extreme than mine. Sportaid recently started carrying the Wheel Comfort padded footplate. I have never seen one, but it might be possible to modify the foam base...

    http://www.sportaid.com/wheel-comfor...footplate.html





    Or you could come up with your own rendition of the concept.
    But if I modify my foot plate would I still be able to attach my free wheel?

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by SequinScandal View Post
    But if I modify my foot plate would I still be able to attach my free wheel?
    It is something to bear in mind with the design of the build up, but I am able to install a FreeWheel on my chair with no problem. You could design a build up removable so you could simply take it off.

    As a seating therapist, one of the things I would want to know is the underlying cause. Is the problem due to long term use of a bent swingaway legrest that didn't provide proper positioning or is the problem originating at your hip. Do you have any hip range of motion limitations due heterotropic ossification or possibly subluxation/removal of the head of the femur?


Similar Threads

  1. My right foot
    By mimin in forum Care
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-03-2007, 05:04 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-15-2006, 11:37 PM
  3. foot drop and big foot braces
    By kickinglamb in forum Care
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-10-2006, 10:10 PM
  4. cold foot/hot foot
    By 12many in forum Care
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-28-2005, 09:03 AM
  5. I cut my foot
    By Hunker in forum Care
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 02-22-2005, 04:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •