Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Eliminating Bladder Sediment

  1. #1

    Eliminating Bladder Sediment

    Hi there

    I am a new member, I have MS and can only move my head and shoulders, I receive 9 hours assistant care through the day between 7 AM and 7 PM but consider myself independent and choose to live alone, from a psychological perspective that is very important to me.

    I've been inspired to write because for the last few months I've had a huge amount of sediment/tissue in my bladder and due to blockage at the present time need to flush my urethral catheter between 2-3 times per day, it is driving me crazy and I feel sure there must be some way, either by dietary means (pref) or medication, of controlling this problem. I have had a catheter for the last 7 1/2 years but it's only been the last few months that I have had this problem. In case you're asking the obvious, I drink around 2 L water throughout the day. If anyone else has dealt with and overcome urinary sediment I would absolutely love to hear from you.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    2,529
    Blog Entries
    1
    I have an SP tube and had this problem for the first time a few weeks ago – stones clogging my catheter. Evidently some infections (I've been colonized, but otherwise asymptomatic) are stones-forming. A C&S and appropriate antibiotic might take care things. A cystoscopy to clear out whatever's there also seems a good idea.

  3. #3
    With an indwelling catheter, your water intake should be at least 3 liters daily. You are not drinking enough.

    Have you had tests for stones? Sediment like this can be tiny stones. You may also need a cystoscopy if you have a lot of 'sand' in your bladder.

    What type of catheter are you using? Latex catheters are more likely to clog than silicone or silastic/teflon coated. Is it a urethral or SP indwelling catheter? What size?? How often do you change the catheter? Do you get encrustations on the inside of the catheter as well as a lot of sediment?

    What does your urologist say??

    (KLD)

  4. #4
    I get tons more sediment when I get stuck with a harder foley catheter. It really does take 3 - 4 liters of water a day to help me stay flushed out.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Bookjunky View Post
    I get tons more sediment when I get stuck with a harder foley catheter. It really does take 3 - 4 liters of water a day to help me stay flushed out.
    When we drink these quantities of water every day, we should have our blood sodium levels checked regularly. My endocrinologist was worried about how low my sodium levels were. He explained that drinking too much water can dilute body fluids, increase your total blood volume and make your kidneys work overtime to filter excess water out of the circulatory system. I was drinking more than 3 liters of water a day, backed off to about 2 and my sodium levels rebounded to a normal level in a couple months.

    Fortunately, I don't suffer from sediment clogging my catheter and my urine remains clear and odorless with daily instillations of Vetericyn.

    All the best,
    GJ

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    When we drink these quantities of water every day, we should have our blood sodium levels checked regularly. My endocrinologist was worried about how low my sodium levels were. He explained that drinking too much water can dilute body fluids, increase your total blood volume and make your kidneys work overtime to filter excess water out of the circulatory system. I was drinking more than 3 liters of water a day, backed off to about 2 and my sodium levels rebounded to a normal level in a couple months.

    Fortunately, I don't suffer from sediment clogging my catheter and my urine remains clear and odorless with daily instillations of Vetericyn.

    All the best,
    GJ
    That's great infromation, I was woundering that myself with this new set up of mine..I guess too much of anything is not a good thing

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    When we drink these quantities of water every day, we should have our blood sodium levels checked regularly. My endocrinologist was worried about how low my sodium levels were. He explained that drinking too much water can dilute body fluids, increase your total blood volume and make your kidneys work overtime to filter excess water out of the circulatory system. I was drinking more than 3 liters of water a day, backed off to about 2 and my sodium levels rebounded to a normal level in a couple months.

    Fortunately, I don't suffer from sediment clogging my catheter and my urine remains clear and odorless with daily instillations of Vetericyn.

    All the best,
    GJ
    How much Vetericyn do you use with each irrigation and how long does a 16 ounce bottle last you?
    Thanks...

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott C4/5 View Post
    How much Vetericyn do you use with each irrigation and how long does a 16 ounce bottle last you?
    Thanks...
    How much Vetericyn you need to use tends to be a very personal thing. It will take some experimenting on your part. Some people use 60cc of Vetericyn or Vetericyn VF twice a day, others much less.

    Personally, I use 20cc of Vetericyn VF diluted with 10cc of saline, retained between 20-45 minutes. I haven't quite figured out what goes on with me, but I have had a suprapubic catheter for about 26 months, during which time I have used Vetericyn VF. My bladder is probably quite small at this point, so it may fill up with 30cc of instilled liquid plus urine and when it gets full, I need to empty the contents of the bladder or I have an autonomic episode. And/or, it may be that as some have reported, our bladders tend to be more sensitive to the instillation of Vetericyn VF, thus the dilution in my case.

    During years of intermittent catheterization (before using Vetericyn VF) and now with the suprapubic catheter, I have never been a stone or sediment maker, so I don't think I can credit Vetericyn VF with keeping me sediment free, but I do credit Vetericyn VF with keeping my bladder uncolonized with bacteria, clear and odor free.

    Due to imprecise measuring, I probably get about 25 +/- instillations out of a 16oz (pint) spray bottle.

    All the best,
    GJ

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    How much Vetericyn you need to use tends to be a very personal thing. It will take some experimenting on your part. Some people use 60cc of Vetericyn or Vetericyn VF twice a day, others much less.

    Personally, I use 20cc of Vetericyn VF diluted with 10cc of saline, retained between 20-45 minutes. I haven't quite figured out what goes on with me, but I have had a suprapubic catheter for about 26 months, during which time I have used Vetericyn VF. My bladder is probably quite small at this point, so it may fill up with 30cc of instilled liquid plus urine and when it gets full, I need to empty the contents of the bladder or I have an autonomic episode. And/or, it may be that as some have reported, our bladders tend to be more sensitive to the instillation of Vetericyn VF, thus the dilution in my case.

    During years of intermittent catheterization (before using Vetericyn VF) and now with the suprapubic catheter, I have never been a stone or sediment maker, so I don't think I can credit Vetericyn VF with keeping me sediment free, but I do credit Vetericyn VF with keeping my bladder uncolonized with bacteria, clear and odor free.

    Due to imprecise measuring, I probably get about 25 +/- instillations out of a 16oz (pint) spray bottle.

    All the best,
    GJ

    Thanks. I'm going to have to start an irrigation routine, as I've had 2 asymptomatic bladder infections in the last 8 weeks or so. My last C&S came back showing pseudamonas but having no symptoms other than a bad smell. My urologist's physician assistant was going to have me take an IV antibiotic, but my PCP advised me not to since I have no physical symptoms. My bladder can hold several hundred cc's of urine before AD kicks in, but seeing as how Vetericyn VF is a bit pricey, I'll keep the quantity between 20-40 cc's.

Similar Threads

  1. Bladder sediment
    By Scaper1 in forum Care
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 11-14-2012, 12:10 AM
  2. Eliminating Partition
    By mike in forum Computers
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-14-2012, 01:15 PM
  3. Bladder issues - sediment/ burning
    By Ricardo in forum Care
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-07-2012, 04:47 PM
  4. Replies: 43
    Last Post: 10-03-2011, 11:24 PM
  5. bladder stones? sediment in urine?
    By DA6righthand in forum Care
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-26-2007, 09:40 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •