Thread: Dura plasty

Dura plasty

Hi I want to anybody there who had dura plasty to open the dura and give space to spinal cord anybody and how he recoverd

Blog Entries
    Are you getting a laminectomy too? I had a sub occipital craniectomy, a laminectomy through C7, and a bovine duraplasty along with. It was not small surgery; recovery was not simple, and the surgery may have left me a little vulnerable to injury. If you are having 'just a duraplasty' with no disruption of the bones, I expect it would be easier, though I don't know. I don't expect getting opened up there would be a walk in the park in any case.

Feel free to PM me if you're curious about anything.

The questions asked above are helpful information to help answer the original questions.
    CKF

[QUOTE=Random1567287]Are you getting a laminectomy too? I had a sub occipital craniectomy, a laminectomy through C7, and a bovine duraplasty along with. It was not small surgery; recovery was not simple, and the surgery may have left me a little vulnerable to injury.[/QUOTE]

Whoa, Randy, describing that trio of extensive procedures as "not small" is worthy of nomination for the "Understatement of the Century" award. You have my deep respect and admiration for both agreeing to undergo and coming through all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    If you are having 'just a duraplasty' with no disruption of the bones, I expect it would be easier, though I don't know.
    I respectfully disagree. Opening the dura and sewing on the graft puts you at a much higher risk for cervical spinal fluid (CSF) leaks, infection of the central nervous system (meningitis), and additional damage to the cord than the bone surgery.

But unless Henna's already had laminectonies done at the same levels as the duraplasty, s/he's having both done together. Otherwise the surgeon's won't have access to the dura.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Hi first of the surgery have done on my 24 yr old brother I will write in short his condition he did not had and accident but last year June when my father passed away in hospital when my bro hear the news Nd was running and felt down from stairs of the hospital his problem had started a and started feeling numbness in legs but slowly slowly problem became bigger and we room around the whole country to find for him and MRI machine of his weight coz my bro was obese with 183 kg so many neuro surgeons refused to do anything then final we found a private hospital and they did his maylopraphy with some other scans and find his spinal cord was compressed on 3 levels T6to t9 which was worse on t9 my bro was having all the functions like BB Even he was walking but with very difficultly and even was driving .........doc recommend urgent surgery and said that 80% he will be recoverd and walk also they operate him and it was 8 hors of surgery but he was not fussed as doc explained his problem was calssiffied ligament flamvn it became like nine and was compressing spinal cord Booz of no MRi he was not able to tell the condition of his spinal cord but as he saw my brother situation he was pretty much sure that there is no damage .......after surgery he came out smilling and everything was going good .....he was on foley cheathdwr .....on the 3 Ed day of surgery when they did clumping with his pipe that found my bro didn't felt his bladder he passed almost 1500 ml .....urgently the doc was called and did again his maylography and found still spinal cord was compressed .......co of swelling inside and he said that he wanted to give space to spinal cord .....he did the dura plasty and elder sis was inside the OP coz we were tooooo much worried so doc said to come and watch the the proccess wel as opened his dura he found and said that there was no damage to spinal cord and sp look fine in coloration but there was some swelling of it ........he but the patch and the 2nd surgery was 10 hours .....well my bro cameout to tired .....well nex day when they again clummped his pipe my brother was feeling his bladder .........but there was no movement of his legs or toe but he was having feeling all over the body ........he stayed In hospital 22 days and then came home for home Phisiyo .......
    Current situation:-
    My brother cheathder was removed after 4 months of surgery And he started to pas urine by his own and also got some controll of h
    It it's been 2 and half months and he is passing on his own without any difficulty and also have control and also feel his bladder he had scans to see the residual urine 3 time and urology doc was happy ,surprised,and satisffied.......my brothe started moving his right toe after 3 months and also can move ankle but hardly and also got hip muscles and some quard but right is better then left having reflexes ,spacisity and clonus ,,,,,,,,,,,he have good trunk control and balanc is perfect also have all kind of sensation like warm cold ,light touch ,deep,pin brick ,and also position sence and from 2 , 3 day he can push his right leg front and if push hard can lift a knee a bit ...........so so far he doing good and lost almost 22 kg .........so what u can say now about that what the docs did was the good option or no..............and p,z who have had this surgery let me know how they recover BB and is u are walking .......I want to know ans also any suggestions ..............?..?..?.?..?.
    Henna

Unfortunately, your story is a little difficult to follow. Can you simplify it for me? Basic facts and timeline would help.

Also, you need to keep in mind that everyone's injury or i8llness is different. There are no guarantees with surgery and unfortunately, everyone heals a li8ttle differently.
    CKF

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thehipcrip View Post
    Whoa, Randy, describing that trio of extensive procedures as "not small" is worthy of nomination for the "Understatement of the Century" award.

yeah, it was pretty controversial. All of my second opinions recommended against it. But it really did help me, until I fell on a wet floor and got injured.
    I respectfully disagree. Opening the dura and sewing on the graft puts you at a much higher risk for cervical spinal fluid (CSF) leaks, infection of the central nervous system (meningitis), and additional damage to the cord than the bone surgery.

Yes indeed, so true! All I understand personally in the CSF leak, but that alone was torture. Henna, if you do go through with it, spend serious time with your doctor discussing how you might prevent that and deal with it if it happens. Although the other risks are massively exponentially greater concerns.
    But unless Henna's already had laminectonies done at the same levels as the duraplasty, s/he's having both done together. Otherwise the surgeon's won't have access to the dura.

I wondered about that, hoped that microsurgery might be able to minimize things.