Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions about colostomy

Questions about colostomy

I'm supposed to be enjoying a short vacation in Florida. Instead I'm laying in bed for hours with no results from my BP. This ALWAYS happens when I travel...I guess from the stress? Yesterday and today I used two enemeez, and have been leaking a bit here and there and my anus is SO TIGHT. I'm sure by tomorrow it'll work-it always does, but I've been researching colostomies. I would love to not spend hours with someone digging in my butt, but the whole bag thing is a real issue for me.I had the mitrofanoff procedure and I have a baclofen pump, so adding one more thing to my already crowded teeny belly doesn't seem viable. I also love sleeping on my stomach! I've read about irrigation with a stoma instead of wearing a bag. Is it possible to sleep on the stomach still? Anyone irrigate instead of wearing a bag? Is the procedure reversable? Does it interfere with pregnancy, is I ever want children?

Thanks!!!
    C7 ASIA C from Transverse Myelitis. Diagnosed on 12/19/09.

I would suggest doing a search on our forums with the term "colostomy". You will find many previous stories about this.

You can still prone with a colostomy, but will probably need to devise some pillows or foam pads to "bridge" the bag to allow this.

There is no reason a colostomy should interfere with pregnancy.

While in theory, a colostomy can be done temporarily, many surgeons will tell you not to depend upon that, as the reversal is not always possible.

Irrigating is sometimes an option for those who can have a fairly distal colostomy (in the descending colon), but not for those who have a transverse or ascending colon, as the stool is too liquid in those areas. Just keep in mind that irrigation does take time, and also may require assistance. The need for assistance in emptying a bag and changing the appliance may also be an issue for some.

(KLD)

What determines whether it can be distal or not?

GG, I have a baclofen pump, and a colostomy. They both "fit". I don't sleep prone, but due to comfort, not the bag. You would want to bridge it, like kld said, as it may need to fill in the night.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

The reason for the colostomy, previous surgical scar tissue, and stoma placement options. This should be something you discuss with the colorectal surgeon when you get a consultation for this, and should also involve a CWOCN (ostomy nurse) consultation before a decision is made.

(KLD)

Over the years a number of doctors told me to think of a colostomy because it would make my life easier, I did not want to deal with the bag so declined. I had a very deep and serious pressure sore and had to go with one and was told I could have it reversed later on. It improved my quality of life so much I would never want to go back to the old time consuming BP.

had 1 for 4 yrs could have never gone down the colorado river for 6 days with out it

its to me freedom no more accidents plus i have my dginity back just my thoughts

i too have a bacofen pump buts it shut down not using it

but hpw do you like your mircoff tell me more as i dislike the sp

I learned after my first visit post-SCI that Florida did not agree with me. Talked to several others who winter down there and all said they had learned the first 2 weeks or so things go nuts BP wise. I figured it out just over the border on our second trip when I could literally smell the sulfur in the water at a road side station. Went directly to bottled or filtered water after that...no more problems. Mentioned it to another friend and she tried bottled for a week and her family had new faucets put in with filters. Some of us seem to be especially sensitive of whatever some water treatment plants use to clean water in some areas. I can't handle the taste of tap water much less that smell in the Milwaukee area either and I grew up drinking tap 90 miles west of there. Might try bottled if it's just when you travel to a specific place.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Good suggestion. Many people have problems with water from different areas. Thanks for bringing it up.
    CKF

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
    I learned after my first visit post-SCI that Florida did not agree with me. Talked to several others who winter down there and all said they had learned the first 2 weeks or so things go nuts BP wise. I figured it out just over the border on our second trip when I could literally smell the sulfur in the water at a road side station. Went directly to bottled or filtered water after that...no more problems. Mentioned it to another friend and she tried bottled for a week and her family had new faucets put in with filters. Some of us seem to be especially sensitive of whatever some water treatment plants use to clean water in some areas. I can't handle the taste of tap water much less that smell in the Milwaukee area either and I grew up drinking tap 90 miles west of there. Might try bottled if it's just when you travel to a specific place.
    That's interesting! I only drink bottled water when I'm there because I'm used to NYC water that is so much better tasting.